Dahlgren drawings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dahlgren drawings?

I was thinking about whipping out a model Dahlgren 11" cannon on the lathe but I can't seem to find any scale drawings. I'm not committed to the 11" model, but I have some round bar stock sitting around and besides I think the kids would enjoy it.
    Any ideas where to look?

It is a cannon.
    It has zero moving parts.
    What exactly do you need to know?
    Or am I missing something?

-D
    DZER

Comment

Check out Graybeard Outdoors forum. They have a black powder cannon forum with lots of information and folks who may be able to direct you to the details you are looking for.
      Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
      Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        It is a cannon.
        It has zero moving parts.
        What exactly do you need to know?
        Or am I missing something?

-D
        Scale. Drawings.

Comment

Here's the cannon, I haven't found the carriage yet.

If you can find a copy of the Got Cannons Ultimate Cannon Plans DV-ROM, it has the dahlgren plans.
          Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

William Greene produced a series of cannon plans, some appeared in HSM. He passed away several years ago. His plans are now being sold by this fellow, I believe with the Greene family's permission. They are well worth having. The Dalhgren is a seacoast gun with a front pintle barbette carriage and a 5-1/2" tube, but the plans are easily scaled up to suit material available. It is worthwhile to get several or all of the Greene plans, I have most, as the dimensions are similar throughout the set, and different carriages can be used or adapted to the different tubes depending on the wants of the builder. For example, the carriage for the Widow Blakely is also suitable for the Dahlgren.

http://www.jerryclement.ca/CivilWar/n-KXMQ6

Here are some of my cannon, the howitzer and Dahlgren are from the Greene plans, the naval gun is from Jerry Howell's plans.

Another excellent source of cannon and carriage drawings is the book "Round Shot and Rammers".
            Last edited by JCHannum; 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM.
            Jim H.

Comment

It looks to me that an awful lot was left to the discretion of the pattern maker. Or there were supplemental drawings.

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
              Here's the cannon, I haven't found the carriage yet.

If you can find a copy of the Got Cannons Ultimate Cannon Plans DV-ROM, it has the dahlgren plans.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                It looks to me that an awful lot was left to the discretion of the pattern maker.
                I think this is one of those cases where "Everybody knows how to cast a cannon" The patent drawing showed just enough to show how it was different and therefore "patentable"? There is a patent drawing of the carriage that shows all the pieces, down to the nuts and bolts, but the quality of the one I found is so bad as to be mostly worthless. I'd love to get a copy of the Got Cannons DV-ROM, but while listed on both eBay Canada and UK, the seller has stopped the sales.
                Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think my dad has a copy of "Round Shot and Rammers" but I've already pestered him for a couple of things in the last week or so, lol... I'll give him a call.
                  Also been awhile since I've seen a DuPont black powder can, that brings back memories.
                  Thanks again, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X