Looking for a 4" Mill Vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 4" Mill Vice

I am in the market for a 4" mill vice with a swivel base.

Hi,

For what size machine? While Kurt 4" can be found they are expensive. Glacern makes a good vice that is a bit cheaper, but can still be more than some wish to pay. The Chinese make them, though many now come from India. Consider those light duty with some polish probably needed.

Don't worry to much about the swivel. Even Kurt's are improved by removal.

Pay attention to the distance from the front of the vice to the mounting holes. Smaller mills can lose travel quickly if the vice over hangs too much.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I currently use 2 imports... one from "Little Machine Shop", and the other from Grizzly. They are almost identical. They are decent for home shop usage, but while both claim to be Ang-Lock style, neither actually works. I get about .001" lift on both.

One of the Swivel bolts on the LMS vice swivel broke the first time I torqued it down. I was wondering why it came with spares.....

Comment

I use a Grizzly, and the lock works after some filing and smoothing and adjustment. It still needs a tap with a mallet most of the time.
        Not bad for what I paid at the time, but I may end up modding it into an actual locking system sometime.
        For a home shop, a lot of stuff will work for you. I've never actually had bad luck with stuff made in China. And however much I hold the opinion that any country can make good products, I've also formed the opinion that India just refuses to.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
          For what size machine? While Kurt 4" can be found they are expensive.
          --------<snip>---------
          Pay attention to the distance from the front of the vice to the mounting holes. Smaller mills can lose travel quickly if the vice over hangs too much.
          While the cost of a 4" Kurt vice may sting a bit, the price of the swivel base is beyond ridiculous IMO.
          Don't you mean the distance from the rear of the vice to the mounting holes? Overhang on the front of the vice means nothing - unless you happen to walk into it at the wrong angle....

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
            I am in the market for a 4" mill vice with a swivel base.
            Did you check Flylows Bargain Tool House?

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Machina View Post
              I use a Grizzly, and the lock works after some filing and smoothing and adjustment. It still needs a tap with a mallet most of the time.
              Not bad for what I paid at the time, but I may end up modding it into an actual locking system sometime.
              For a home shop, a lot of stuff will work for you. I've never actually had bad luck with stuff made in China. And however much I hold the opinion that any country can make good products, I've also formed the opinion that India just refuses to.
              I suspect you have never used a made in India Wilton vice. I have their 3 angle 3 inch vice that shames any Grizzly, Enco, or no name Chinese vice that I have ever seen. India can make fine equipment, the question in my mind is will people pay the price necessary to build that fine of equipment. You could buy several Chinese vices for what I paid for the Wilton.

Michael

Comment

It is spelled VISE VISE VISE VISE ! ! !
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  It is spelled VISE VISE VISE VISE ! ! !
                  Not any more it isn't. English (all versions) is a living language and now it is spelled both ways.

(Just look on Craigslist)
                  "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

(Just look on Craigslist)
                    A place where you can purchase metic wrenchs or a transmittion jack is definitely the place to check how to spell something.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                      A place where you can purchase metic wrenchs or a transmittion jack is definitely the place to check how to spell something.
                      And don't forget the very common, "Radio Arm Saw."
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

There is a place in town having a sale on metric wenches but my wife wont let me buy any, I am not even allowed to view what is on offer.

Comment

See i knowed it was vice cuz I seen it on the internet, ya know.

Comment

I have vices but my vise is not one of them. Gotta go with Doozer on this one.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

If you guys are going to be so picky then I am going to pick on all the cases of "effect" that I see that should be "affect".
                              "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Working...
                              X