Sorta OT: Sander pad replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorta OT: Sander pad replacement

I have an old Craftsman orbital sander- a real beast with a 4.5 by 9 inch pad surface. The problem is that the (felt?) pad is shot and parts haven't been available since the Carter administration. Anyone know where to buy thick felt in small quantities? Or can I substitute something else, like carpeting? I really want to get this monster back in service.

A piece from a neoprene backed mouse pad would be a good choice

Comment

Some older Skil sanders used a cork pad
      John

Comment

McMaster-Carr offers several grades of felt in small quantities.

Kevin B.

Comment

The purpose of that felt is/was to provide a little "give" to the sandpaper. Almost any,fairly firm, flexible material would do.I suggest a scrap of carpet with a tight weave. Stick it to the platen with contact cement.It may not last as long as felt, but it IS replaceable, and it is made every day.
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
            The purpose of that felt is/was to provide a little "give" to the sandpaper. Almost any,fairly firm, flexible material would do.I suggest a scrap of carpet with a tight weave. Stick it to the platen with contact cement.It may not last as long as felt, but it IS replaceable, and it is made every day.
            That's exactly what I did and it works perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
            X