Will this VFD work ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this VFD work ??

As far as the voltage and amps it will work for a motor on my mill, question is can it be made to work with a remote control panel ??

http://driveswarehouse.com/p-2692-nes1-022sb.aspx

It has what they call 'Intelligent terminals' which means of the 5 inputs you can assign up to 35 different functions, so the short answer to your question is Yes.
    It also has one output that can be assigned 1 of 25 functions.
    You will also need a 5k - 10k linear potentiometer for speed control.
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 03-21-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I notice in the "location" spec it says less than 1000M altitude. Does that mean it wouldn't last at my 4,500'?
      Jim

Comment

No, it will work fine. You might need a fan if you put it in an enclosure.

Comment

Hitachi is a nice drive. But if you are looking for a remote panel check out GS2 from automation direct. You buy the optional bezel and 10' shielded cable, then mount the control anywhere you want.

Comment

The NES vfd linked comes with the remote operator, but it's NOT designed for grubby hands and machine type control - just data entry and status. Use industrial buttons/switches and pots for controls.

Unless you specifically do not want a braking resistor or sensor-less vector, it will work, but you might be better served by the WJ200 version.
            Last edited by lakeside53; 03-22-2014, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by superUnknown View Post
              Hitachi is a nice drive. But if you are looking for a remote panel check out GS2 from automation direct. You buy the optional bezel and 10' shielded cable, then mount the control anywhere you want.
              The control box in that video is mounted in just about the most unergonomic place it possibly could be...IMHO that is! I wonder why?

Stuart

Comment

Can you imagine trying to stop in a hurry? Reaching over the headstock to hit a little button while something is caught up in the spindle?

Comment

Hey superUnknown, what size is that Emco in the backround ?
                  For a number of years i ran a 360 with a bar pusher... was a really nice machine, had a Siemens control which i thought was alittle cumbersome coming from Fanucs but the machine was consistent... Only problem was getting someone to work on the thing if it whent down... they got rid of it for that reason. The place i worked at had two; the 360 and an ittybitty one, the turret on the small one was 6" dia at most... the thing looked like a toy but pumped out work.
                  ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                  http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Hitachi's are a nice unit. The Teco's a a bit cheaper. You should be able to get a Teco FM50 shipped to you for ~$200. Or the Teco JNEV for about $30 more. http://dealerselectric.com
                    Mike
                    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by atomarc View Post
                      The control box in that video is mounted in just about the most unergonomic place it possibly could be...IMHO that is! I wonder why?

Stuart
                      Interesting. I don't have a problem reaching the controls, it's a tiny little boxford lathe. I found the original switch position at mid thigh a REAL PITA. I snagged on it a couple times... a chacun son gout.

Comment

Originally posted by iMisspell View Post
                        Hey superUnknown, what size is that Emco in the backround ?
                        For a number of years i ran a 360 with a bar pusher... was a really nice machine, had a Siemens control which i thought was alittle cumbersome coming from Fanucs but the machine was consistent... Only problem was getting someone to work on the thing if it whent down... they got rid of it for that reason. The place i worked at had two; the 360 and an ittybitty one, the turret on the small one was 6" dia at most... the thing looked like a toy but pumped out work.
                        She's the 140 a real Austrian beauty! Not even broke in, fresh out of college. Drip feed AND micro-tape drive. It's a stalled out project of mine. I fried the controls out of it so going to convert to gecko drives and Mach3. Spindle motor is is a oddball DC shunt. It'll likely sit for another decade or three before I get round to it. and yes, my wife HATES it.
                        (edit). I also rushed out and bought 25 hundy worth of tooling that has yet to make a single chip.
                        Last edited by superUnknown; 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

You all seem very savvy about VFD's and perhaps you could help me with my desire to put one on my small knee mill. It is the largest one available from Busy Bee. I have talked with the local electrical motor place in my city but they are VERY pricey, in the $900 area for motor and VFD. I would like the variable speed, torque, reverse (doesn't have it) and braking. The existing motor is 1.5 hp 220 single phase 9 amp, 4 pole, class E, 1720 rpm, 3/4 " shaft, Kaishen is the manufacturer. Not sure what frame. The Dealers Industrial site is very interesting from a price stand point. I am not up on wiring and setup but am up for a challenge with a bit of coaching. You will also probably notice that I am in Canada. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Comment

Tubalcain aka mr. pete222 on youtube just did a 5 part series on installing a Teco on his old drill press. That'll show you 99% of what you'll run into.

Comment

These are fantastic for using to get speed control on lots of different machines.I purposly changed both my larger woodlathes from single to three phase motors to get this speed control function. These days absolutely needed to stop the lathe from serious damage or walk about vibration with huge lumps of wood turning at far too high a speed using only belts to control speed.I can turn down to a few revs per second with this type of unit.I don't have a hitachi but am told they are very good quality so don't fear. Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X