Gear puller recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear puller recommendations?

I have a collection of wornout and otherwise broke gear pullers and after an hour cussing fit yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and replace the offenders.

I got more or less a full set of two jaw ones up to 25ton and three jaw up to 15ton.It's mainly the small ones 1,2,3&5 that need replacing.

I currently have OTC and Proto and they have served me well,but they are 20+ years old and I want to be sure the quality is still there before I plunk down the cash.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Proto is no longer Ingersol Rand, it's now owned by Stanley. Stanley has offshored nearly all the hand tools. Buyer beware.

Comment

I have used OTC pullers under some pretty severe conditions for a lot of years and found them to stand up well.
      I recently bought a bearing puller and it appears to be the same well made tool as the ones I used to use on heavy equipment.
      Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

The "Posilock" pullers are still made and good quality. At least, the two I have are, and they were bought in the last 5 years. Beware that they co$t, but that is the price of quality. I know McMaster carries the full line. Sears carries them too -- at least the lesser sizes. I don't know about the larger 25 ton one. "Oil Coast"... is that Texas or Alaska?? Haha

Comment

I like the OTC pullers and slide hammer. I've got one nice big snap-on 3 jaw with a jaw lock that clamps down the arms so they don't spread, it's great but pricey. As for bearing spliters, I bought offshore junk and they've actually stood up real nice. I make my own strongbacks.

Comment

I've got a whole drawer full of pullers since you never have just the right size. My collection includes Posi Lock, KD, and a cast of others but the ones I keep going back too are Harbor Freight ones. And the sets cost less that some of the single pullers I have. What can I say they just work.
            Mike
            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I bought about three good quality(not the very best but better than the cheep junk sometimes you see on display) and when I use them I find them great to work with.Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Alistair uses them to get pound coins out his pocket.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

+1 for the OTC stuff, a bit spendy but as they say, it only hurts once that way.

That said, I have two or three of the HF variety that have served my well when I had something that didn't need a real hard pull, but had to be modified in some way to fit in an odd location.

Dave

Comment

I bought a Proto in the last year or so, and it's high quality. I think made in USA.

Comment

Isn't OTC lifetime warranty? I know Lisle is.

Comment

Originally posted by flutedchamber View Post
                        Isn't OTC lifetime warranty? I know Lisle is.
                        On materials and workmanship,but once the threads are worn round along with the hex on the end of the screw not so much

Comment

Okay,thanks for the replies,looks like I'm gonna play it safe and stick with OTC.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                            On materials and workmanship,but once the threads are worn round along with the hex on the end of the screw not so much
                            I've returned OTC back ten years ago that the threads stripped out in the puller. Walked out with a new puller. Lisle you just bring back the pieces and walk out with a new unit. Don't know how many of those 12 point male sockets used to remove WV axle shafts and head bolts that I returned broken..

Comment

Originally posted by flutedchamber View Post
                              I've returned OTC back ten years ago that the threads stripped out in the puller. Walked out with a new puller. Lisle you just bring back the pieces and walk out with a new unit. Don't know how many of those 12 point male sockets used to remove WV axle shafts and head bolts that I returned broken..
                              They have paid for themselves many times over,time for some new ones.OTC isn't going to stay in business just doing warranty returns.

I'll save the jaws off the old ones and throw the left overs in the scrap barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X