Endmill Sharpening Fixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endmill Sharpening Fixtures

Has anyone made either one of these fixtures - if so, do they work well?

Quorn Cutter & Tool Grinder:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/quorn/quorn.html

Tinker Tool and Cutter Sharpening Accessory:

http://lautard.com/tinker-s.htm

Some construction notes regarding above:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/tinker/tinker.html

Thanks

I've made a Quorn...but never *quite* got around to finishing it. There isn't that much left to do, but somehow I never get to it. Anyway...if I were doing it again, I don't think I would do it again, although a friend of mine has made one and likes it.

One problem is the split-casting clamping arrangement for the settings. If I were doing it again, I would contrive to use split cotters, as described in Lautard's Machinist Bedside Reader #1. I think they wouuld be much more satisfactory.

I think before I did a Quorn I'd try the Tinker.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I haven't built either, but did look at several various T&C cutters a while baack. I ended up buying a KO Lee for cheap that satisfied my requirements.
      I had pretty well settled on one that was in Projects in Metal, designed by Glenn Wilson. It used no castings, and looked simpler than the Quorn.
      I think the Tinker would serve most purposes for less money and be simpler building than the Quorn.
      Either of these use standard bench grinders, and the spindle bearings on these are not always the best, so be prepared for upgrades there also.
      Jim H.

Comment

I built the Tinker. It took about 8 weeks. I got the castings off ebay for only $25.00 so I didn't really have much in it. It does require some patient work. I use mine to sharpen end mills and plain staggered tooth side cutting mills. It will do a lot, but like a most tool and cutter grinders, the fiddle and set up time is high. I still sharpen drill bits using my $12.00 General jig set up on a homemade compound used to feed it into the wheel. It's a good project and I am glad I did it. Would I do it again? Well, since I learned a little about tool and cutter grinding in the process, now I am actually interested in buying a small surface grinder of tool and cutter grinder like a K.O. Lee, Brown & Sharp, Cincinnati, etc. If I get one, it will make the tinker a little obsolete.

Perk in Cincinnati

Comment

Both designs can be made to work well if at times a bit troublesome. One source of error I'd look into is the spindle bearings in the grinder. Be sure the grinder has a bearing preload spring in the end you're using for the "business end".

Random end float in a grinding spindle can be disasterous.

Comment

Working...
          X