No announcement yet.

epoxy pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also like the idea of a peristaltic pump. Partially because it would be a fun project to make. But I think it should be manual. The diameter of the drive/pump ring will determine the volume for each degree of turn. I think the metering could be very exact once you get it primed. The thickness should maintain the prime.

Maybe you could use some little metal flip caps, like on olive oil bottles, to isolate the epoxy from air and dust (I'd make those)? Or enclose the whole thing in a nice little wall mounted box, under a cabinet.

I wonder if silicone tubing could be used, as purchased at hobby shops for fuel? Or would the residual silicone impact the performance of the epoxy? I like the way the silicone responds to squeezing by the pump roller, as compared to less flexible tubes.

Comment

The pump would be easier than these?

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Those work for the quick set junk, but are almost impossible to press with the real (thicker) stuff.

Postage scale is the easiest for small quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          And, I have never had any real problems with matching the amounts of equal part epoxies. The modern epoxies seem to be tolerant to small mistakes in the proportions. I wonder if you are seeking a solution to a problem that does not really exist.
          It's "tolerant", but... if strength or adhesion is an issue, you really need exact proportions or the excess parts just stays as a liquid trapped in a lattice of hardened material.

Very small quantities are the most difficult to get right.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            It seems to me that the biggest problem with epoxy dispensers is one or both of the components tend to harden somewhat when exposed to air, even small amounts of air. This tends to say that you really want a new, fresh dispenser after a period of time, perhaps a year or so. In any case, it would be a very good idea to keep any air out of the reservoirs.

That is my experience with the available dispensers. Use them often and no problem - go back to them after a few months and one or the other is gooped up and almost impossible to clean.

Comment

Working...
            X