Recommendation for 10” Aluminum Oxide Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for 10” Aluminum Oxide Wheels

As the title says... I need to purchase some 10" wheels for my newly acquired Baldor pedestal grinder. I purchased it from a guy who got it from a vocational school. It runs like a top, but the wheels are complete junk. I need a pair of wheels for grinding HSS such as lathe bits, and drills. Anyone have suggestions for suppliers that stock a 10" wheel? McMaster sells a "premium" brown wheel, anyone use those? Preference would be for a 10" diameter x 1.25" face wheel. Suggestions for the grits to purchase may be of interest too.

Thanks,
    Mike

I recommend you go to the Norton website and do some reading. They have any kind of wheel made and good tech resources for customers. You can start here:http://www.nortonindustrial.com/uplo...tal-Wheels.pdf

RWO

Comment

Don't mean to throw cold water but a 10" Baldor would scare me too much to grind lathe tool bits on...I have an 8" version and even with that...there is just so much momentum there (I mean it sets up its own wind draft), personal preference is for 7" or even 6".

CGW has less of a selection but is, IMO, quality and a bit cheaper. Usual ideas on hardness/bond depending on what it is you intend to grind.

I use a 38A 120 H8VBE and while it works, I don't know I am entirely satisfied. For HSS good but maybe a bit too fine to start with, needs attending to on a regular basis but cuts really well after dressing. As well I think it tends to glaze over a bit quickly with HSS that has higher amounts of cobalt in it (which a harder bond MIGHT help solve).
      I'd probably go a 46 or 60 ("J" or "K") on one side and maybe a 150 ("H) on the other side next time for things like lathe tool bits.
      Last edited by RussZHC; 03-23-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

The Gunsmithing Dept. at Trinidad Co. has a whole row of 10 & 12" Baldor grinders used to teach HSS tool grinding. I suspect but don't know for sure that they are slower turning. Maybe 1725 rpm. They cut better and heat the work less than any grinder that I have used. I would look into Norton Norizon wheel.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Good info guys. I've looked at CGW and they're an option plus easy to find. I certainly would consider Norton but I'm just not seeing them in any of typical catalogs. Not sure what brand the brown wheels from McMaster are.

I already have a 6" pedestal grinder with two Norton white wheels (one is very fine), a 6" Baldor clone "Carbide Grinder" with a pair of green wheels and a genuine Baldor Diamond Grinder. Frankly the 6" is way to wimpy. This is a Baldor model 1021W which is 1.5HP 1800 RPM3 phase grinder. A typical 6" 3600 rpm grinder is 20% faster in surface feet per minute than this grinder. I want something that can rough out lathe bits and more importantly sharpen drill bits in the one inch and up range.

Comment

Mike, I called MSC customer service. They instituted a conference call with Norton customer service. Once the part number was determined MSC had Norton ship to me and they billed me. I don't know the grit size on the grinders at Trinidad but most were visually very corse.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

There is a company up here in MN, who is a one an company and can sell with low overhead to anyone in the states and he knows his stuff as he specializes in selling to small shops. Check out www.blueribbonabrasives.com Rich

Comment

Hi Ohio Mike: I use a dedicated 8" grinder for sharpening and use my 10" for rough work only. I know this sounds pretentious but you won't be grinding garbage on a quality stone. Maybe try Harbor Freight for a 8" to sharpen and true it up for your use? Wayne.

Comment

look up lehighvalley abrasives too.
                  FORD BEATING JAP CRAP SINCE 1941!! CAROLYN JONES(1930-1983 actress)may this lady never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                  X