Anyone recognise my new shaper ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognise my new shaper ??

I have just arranged to buy this nice little shaping machine.
    It was described to me as a pre-production prototype for the English Acorn 7" (Atlas in the USA). It does have a few unusual features including a proper clutch and gearbox for the speed change, and also a pumped lubrication system with an oil sump in the base. It has been "show" finished with all the handles having been chrome plated etc. The main body is a fabrication, but the base and ram etc are castings. It is very similar to the Atlas in many respects but obviously not the same.
    I have never seen one just like it before, and would be interested to find out a bit of its history if possible.
    Thanks
    Phil

That looks like a very solid little machine. Congrats on your purchase.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Phil,

That one has some nice features. It appears that the table can be rotated - is that true?

Comment

That's really neat. With all that chrome, it would look absolutely fabulous painted black - high gloss black.

Paul A.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I was going to try and build one. I see another feature that I haven't heard talk on or seen before. It appears the tool post will move up on the return stroke. Is this common on all shapers? I guess I haven't been paying attention. Nice feature though.

Comment

Neat looking machine. Congratulations on your find. Do you know in what year it was made? Since it has features that were not found on the Atlas I once owned and does appear to be "atlas-ish", could someone have taken a wrecked Atlas/Acorn shaper and made this beautiful machine from the wreck? The clutch and gear box for speed change, the bed support, and the lube system is certainly like no other Atlas/Acorn machine I have ever seen. Anyway, have loads of fun with it and make lots of nice chips!!

Comment

I have not actually got this shaper home yet, the guy I bought it from is due to deliver it in a couple of weeks time.
              Size wise it is a baby, to give you an idea of scale the base casting is only 22" x 10".
              I have posted some more photos on the Metal_Shapers_Pix Yahoo group site.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...oup/metal_shap ers_pix/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=gr%26.view=t

I will give an update when I have the machine at home.
              Phil

Comment

Looks like it could be related to my AMMCO (American Maintence Machine Co,) shaper, which was bought out by South Bend.
                Wheatland47

Comment

Has anyone ever rigged up their shaper with a grinding spindle on the end of the ram instead of the clapper box.
                  I fancy having a try at this, so I can do a bit of surface grinding with it on small items.
                  What sort of results has anyone experienced from this kind of lash up.
                  Phil (UK)

Comment

Phil,
                    I've never hooked up a grinding attachment to a shaper, but I recall a photo of that in the book Village Press sells on making a single shot rifle - don't know if that's of much help.

Tom B

Comment

Just a follow up to let you know the progress on my new shaping machine.

It was a complete disaster !!

I e-mailed the guy who I had arranged to buy it from to firm up on a day for delivery, and the two line reply that I got back told me that he had been moving it with his workshop crane and the lifting strap had broken. The machine had fallen to the floor and been totally smashed !!

I phoned him straight away thinking this was some sort of poor taste joke, but no it was all true. The base casting was cracked in three places, the feed and clutch mechanisms were both damaged, and the shock had been so violent that the ram was broken in half.
                      He was very sorry about this happening and intended to call a scrap man in the next day to cart off the remains.
                      On hearing this I asked him to send me some photos of the damage, as I could still be interested in buying the machine for spares or repair, with some reluctance he said he would send me some, but it would be a few days before he would get the time. I followed this up with an e-mail request the day after so he would not forget.

Next I get an e-mail saying that he has found a local contractor who can restore the machine, and because it is so unique he was prepared to pay out the آ£380 to have the work done, (the asking price for the machine had originally been آ£280 by the way) but to recover costs when it was finshed he is going to list the machine on ebay starting at آ£650.

I replied by asking for some photos of the damage again, but all I got was a phone number for someone else who had a machine to sell, no mention of the damaged one.

Some of you cynics out there are probably thinking that this guy must have been advised that he could get more than آ£280 for his machine, and that the best thing to do was make up some excuse to break our "gentlemans agreement". well you are entitled to your opinion. I bet the restoration will be so good that you will not be able to tell that the machine was ever damaged, keep an eye on ebay for it.

I have put it to the seller that I think this is what he has done, but so far I have had no response.

With hindsight I was probably silly to post a photo of it on this site in the first place, as that is probably what triggered these events off. I should have waited until I had possesion of it.

This story does however have a happy ending, through sheer fluke and as the result of doing someone else a favour I found out about another machine, It is an Atlas 7" and is all complete and in perfect working order and even has the original vice, toolholder and instruction manual etc. I fetched it home two days ago and it only cost me آ£100.

Sorry to harp on about this, but I was so P'd off, I had to get it out of my system.

Phil

[This message has been edited by pgp001 (edited 05-03-2004).]

Comment

It looks like you came out ahead on the deal. An equivalent machine for less money.

I have two suggestions for dealing with the seller;
                        1. Offer him the 280 for the pieces. Tell him you want it that badly, and are capable of repairing it quite well your self.
                        He will jump at this as it will save him the trouble of repairing, and he will make 10 more than by selling on eBay.

2. The alternate is to watch for when it goes on eBay and post a link to it on all the forums you posted the original deal so we all can see what a fine job was done to repair and to let prospective buyers be aware that it is actually made of a machine that was totally destroyed and then brazed together.
                        Jim H.

Comment

I think option 2 is the one to go for since the seller seems to have given up on any further communication with me.

Actually I reckon someone saw the machine on this or one of the other machine websites, knew where it was located, and put in a greater offer than mine. I have my doubts as to whether it will appear on ebay at all.

Someone reading this is probably having a good chuckle, but I am not bothered, I know who got the best deal in the end.

Phil

Comment

I think you got a better deal on the Atlas. The Atlas vise by itself would have sold for at least $150 to $175 here in the US, irregardless of condition. There's an Atlas 7B for sale now on EBay with a "buy it now" option of $1,000. I paid $750 for mine without the vise and have been looking for an original in good condition at a reasonable price since... no luck so far. I rigged up a round mounting plate and have been using my Myford vise on the shaper but am not real happy about it - I value my various Myford accessories too much to risk dinging them up on a machine I'm still learning.

Comment

Thats it then, the jobs finished.
                              Six evenings of hard graft has produced a machine which is both mechanicaly and cosmetically sound.
                              Dont anyone dare tell me it's the wrong colour though, the wife picked the British Racing Green !!

Comment

Working...
                              X