Sanford SG-48 surface grinder survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanford SG-48 surface grinder survey

I am a Sanford SG-48 owner and a historian and I would like to better document the variations in this neat little surface grinder. I have been collecting photos off the web for awhile and would like to ask your help with some information about each machine. If you could send me the following information, either in a PM or directly to my email: dthompson4389 (at) wowway.com that would be great.

Hopefully I can come up with an illustrated timeline which I will make available. Any suggestions are appreciated. Dennis

Serial Number
    Original purchase date if known
    What state/city did you find it?
    Motor information (HP, amps, rpm, manufacturer)
    Elevation leadscrew:
    a. External leadscrew, open gears and screw
    b. External leadscrew, closed gears, covered screw
    c, Internal leadscrew
    Elevation dial: pointer or vernier?
    Wheel guard:
    a. Plain
    b. Tab with mounting hole on the right (for the wet nozzle, I guess)
    Belt drive: (flat or V, size if known)
    A rear/side photo showing the motor mount (I have identified 4 types so far)
    Spindle lubrication: flip cap oiler, large reservoir, none
    Anyone have any options (photos needed):
    a. Dust extraction adapter on wheel guard
    b. Cutter grinding attachment
    c. Wet grinding system/shield
    d. 3 phase motor
    Power supply in base for the magnetic chuck:
    a. Vacuum tube
    b. Solid state
    I need better photos of the power supplies and a schematic for the vacuum tube version if anyone has drawn one up.
    If you have inspected the spindle bearings, what bearing number?
    Anyone own the Harvey (Butterfly) re-badged version?
    Last edited by mixdenny; 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM.

I think that you'll find more owner of this machine on PM in the Antiques Machinery forum, than you will here. Additional I recall there are some links to manuals, company history. IMHO based on the number of chinee machine owners here, looking for info on old iron is like pissing in the wind.

Comment

Thanks Rosco. I have indeed posted the inquiry on a bunch of forums. But a search for "Sanford" returns at least 4 pages of results on this forum. And a benchtop surface grinder is a perfect fit for someone with small machines. Hey, that's why I bought one...

Dennis

Comment

I search for Sanford in the topic title and it returns 11 results, one of which being yours. Topics started as far back as 2002 and I don't recognize most names as being active or current. Good luck on your project. I hope you will be able to "publish" your finding somewhere like Vintage Machines so they results won't become lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
          I search for Sanford in the topic title and it returns 11 results, one of which being yours. Topics started as far back as 2002 and I don't recognize most names as being active or current. Good luck on your project. I hope you will be able to "publish" your finding somewhere like Vintage Machines so they results won't become lost.
          Yah gotta search deep! There can be a photo or a single mention deep in a thread that seemingly has nothing to do with what you are searching for. Some of those have turned into good leads. Last month I contacted a guy who posted about seeing a Grenby surface grinder under a bench in a junk shop back in 2006 (Grenby is another vintage benchtop unit, I want one!). By emailing to him I managed to get in touch with the guy who had it for sale way back when. Alas, sold.

I have spent hours poring over Google results, sometimes I find something new 20 pages down. And it makes a difference if you search for sanford surface grinder, "sanford surface grinder", sanford "surface grinder", sanfor* surface grinder, sanford benchtop grinder, yadda, yadda. I got the lead to buy mine from a 6 year old web article about a group visit to a tool dealer 500 miles away from me. In one of the photos of their visit I spotted a pair of Sanford grinders. I then searched for the dealer's name, found an email address and contacted him. Yep, he had another one.

But yes, I hope to write something up. I'm an author in the collectibles field with many articles and a best selling book. I am currently in my 20th year of research on a small company in Cicero, IL called Vidrio Products, Corp. I do get obsessed at times.... I don't think Sanford will take that long, heck they only made three basic models and I'm really interested in the one.

Dennis

Comment

You've probably found this manual: http://www.d-and-d.com/misc/MANUALS/...NGS/Manual.pdf Several copies/versions out on the Internet. What I found interesting was multiple addresses for Sanford, The above has Roselle, another I saw years ago had the town Union, most recent location before Sanford disappeared all together was Metuchen NJ, I recall.

I don't own a Sanford, but have seen a few, including one re-badged as Bullova (yes the same as the watch company), the name was not on an asset tag but on the machine itself. Another, no name at all, obviously a Sanford, heavily modified as a cut-off machine with a pre-CNC electro-mechanical drive system. It was late at night, a derelict machine sitting outside and it was junked the next morning.

Comment

Thanks, I do have that manual already. The company moved to Union later on, I guess, since the only machines I have found that address listed on are the newest model. Metuchen is a new lead. Bulova is interesting, since one SG-48 auctioned near me several years ago and it was the estate of a watchmaker. I have found another watchmakers' web site with a Sanford.

Harvey, the company famous for their Butterfly die filers, also sold a re-badged version of the complete Sanford line, called "Butterfly" also. Their version of the SG-48 has some obvious cosmetic differences (from a company parts catalog that happens to show the grinder also). I haven't found a photo of an actual Butterfly SG-48, but have come across the larger MG and LG versions, all the way up to an 10x16, the largest Sanford built.

To update, I have spent the morning on the New Jersey public records sites and I purchased the short form status report from the Department of the Treasury. To illustrate how tricky this can be, there is no mention of the company in the state records. I started searching for similar names and found the state of New Jersey actually misspelled the name on their official listings!

The Sanford Manufacturing Corp was voided by the state in 1993 for failure to pay taxes. I am trying to locate their last listed agent, M. Michael Meadow, who was possibly just a lawyer and not directly connected with the company. There is a different company at his business address in Rahway, they never heard of him. I haven't located him anywhere else yet, although I have the Rahway library searching old directories to see if he lived in Rahway also.

It's also interesting to see they were incorporated in 1951, when their own letterhead states 1941.

Dennis

Comment

So you already have the 695 Rahway Avenue, Union NJ address? Anything still at that location? On Google maps, 300 Cox St. Roselle is a non-descript building.

Comment

There seem to be several Sanford Manufacturing companies on the east coast. A quick search lists the one on 241 E Highland Parkway in The city of Roselle in Union County NJ as a Food Machinery Manufacturer. This one was a previous address of the manufacturer of the surface grinders. There's another one listed as a hardware and tools manufacturer at 403 E 2nd Ave, Roselle, NJ.

Here's a link to the "Factory Whistle": http://factorywhistle.tumblr.com/pos...uring-corp-was

It lists previous addresses of the now defunct company as:

1026 Commerce Ave., Union, NJ
                  (the 1958 MacRae’s Blue Book lists them at 1002 Commerce Ave.)
                  300 Cox Street, Roselle, NJ
                  241 East Highland Parkway, Roselle, NJ

Note the link near the bottom of the page for manuals and schematics. It's still active.

If you follow the links to the quotes you might get a shock. The MG 612 sold for over $10,000.00 in 1959, and the LG 1016 was over $37,000.00. I have an MG 612 in like new condition and paid less than 1/10 the original price several years ago

Comment

That's excellent information Projectnut. Those scans have been referenced on various forums, but I hadn't heard the Factory Whistle before. A helpful librarian in New Jersey has provided me with contact information for Mr Meadows son in law, I'll see where that leads.

Dennis

Comment

That's excellent information Projectnut. Those scans have been referenced on various forums, but I hadn't heard the Factory Whistle before. A helpful librarian in New Jersey has provided me with contact information for Mr Meadows son in law, I'll see where that leads.

Dennis

Comment

Who founded Sanford? Who owned it at the end?

Comment

Hi Dennis and Everyone,

I just joined and am posting for two reasons. I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG 48, and will be forwarding the info requested to Dennis. I believe this is the smallest model Sanford made at the time. My grinder came without a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sense of how the motor should mount. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find, and therefore I'm unclear as to exactly where the bolt holes are for mounting. Any help from someone with a Sanford would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                          Al

Comment

So far I cannot locate the incorporation papers in the New Jersey files. I purchased the short form status report that lists only the registered agent, and I am trying to contact him. The long report with lists of officers is $100, but they don't seem to have one available anyway. Dennis

Comment

So far I cannot locate the incorporation papers in the New Jersey files. I purchased the short form status report that lists only the registered agent, and I am trying to contact him. The long report with lists of officers is $100, but they don't seem to have one available anyway. Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X