Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a bolt because it is too far to walk across the street to buy one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a bolt because it is too far to walk across the street to buy one.

Made up this bolt yesterday on the atlas 10". Metric 10x1.25mm thread. Its flammable, careful.

Andy

Take heart, Andy. You're not the only one who will manufacture a bolt or nut because it's too far to walk across the street to buy one. I catch myself doing it quite frequently.
    Of course, the nearest metals supplier only carries four sizes of re-bar and various thicknesses of diamond-plate in steel & aluminum.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

how did you manage the hex on the atlas?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
        how did you manage the hex on the atlas?

I used the index holes in the bull gear for indexing the bolt and did the cutting with a unimat headstock on the cross slide with an endmill.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine View Post
          Take heart, Andy. You're not the only one who will manufacture a bolt or nut because it's too far to walk across the street to buy one. I catch myself doing it quite frequently.
          Of course, the nearest metals supplier only carries four sizes of re-bar and various thicknesses of diamond-plate in steel & aluminum.

You don't like making bolts out of rebar?
          Andy

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is it for, as that is fine thread?
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

That is a strange thread for a 10mm diameter bolt. 1.5mm is normal course and 1mm is normal fine. Why 1.25mm thread? Inquiring minds want to know!
              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                That is a strange thread for a 10mm diameter bolt. 1.5mm is normal course and 1mm is normal fine. Why 1.25mm thread? Inquiring minds want to know!
                Automotive, maybe?.... tons of 1.25mm on Japanese cars

Comment

Don't know how many times I "walked across the street" only to have to make something anyway!
                  Hardware stores are all gone. Only package stores now. "If we don't have what you need, you don't need it", seems to be the rule of the day.
                  Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

You need to learn what Herr Stevenson and Herr Hosie do. We go together into the shop and he distracts the young girl while I open the box and steel one.It has served us well over the last forty two years.He stopped it when he won three trillion in the lottery last week.You won't hear from hime ever again he just bought Scotland from David Cameron for his new massive super workshop which is eight hours long . Alistair ps from now on I vill be spreching nur in Germun als no Schottish is ever again allowed verdamt scheise nochmal .
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

tight bastard.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                        tight bastard.

Its titanium.
                        Andy

Comment

I've done a similar thing lately, axles and suspension bolts for a friend's motorcycle resto-mod project. All made to the same specs and look of the originals, though made out of 316 stainless steel.

Also, oddball threads including M10x1.25, M12x1.5, M14x1.5

Comment

Very nice job on those! Stainless isn't fun to thread.
                            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                              Very nice job on those! Stainless isn't fun to thread.
                              Easy as pie with my collection of full profile lay-down threading inserts and toolholders!

The tough part on doing the metric threads on a manual lathe with an inch-sized lead screw is threading up near a shoulder with no relief groove and a consistent one-turn pull-out.

How did you do your titanium one?
                              Last edited by PixMan; 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X