OT - Am I Being Set-Up for a Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Am I Being Set-Up for a Scam?

A person from New Zealand claims he wants to buy machine tool items I have for sale ($350) and wants to use PAYPAL for the money transfer. He claims he bought other items in the US and wants to add them to the shipping bundle and use Western Union to pay for the $310 shipping charges. Here is his last email:

>What i am trying to tell you is that the $310 is for the shipping and
    >insurance only because i have some other items that i bought in USA
    >which i want it to be shipped together with the item that is what make
    >the shipping money come to a total of $310, when i make the payment
    >now i will add $310 to the item money which is $350 making the total
    >of $660, all you have to do is that as soon as you receive the payment
    >in your PayPal account you will help me send the $310 to the pick up
    >agent via western union money transfer okay.I will be making the
    >payments shortly.Thanks

I don't think an English speak would make the whole paragraph one sentence. However, it might be possible.

I hadn't planed on doing anything till I had the $660 in my PAYPAL account. That way I would know I'd have the money or is there some way that he can get his money back from PAYPAL claiming I didn't ship or something like that. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

In my opinion, every time someone 'gives' you extra money and wants some back, it is a scam. The fact that a wire transfer is involved just confirms my suspicion.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 04-17-2014, 05:24 PM.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

I agree. SCAM. Ignore it. IF the money shows up in your Paypal account, have Paypal move it to an escrow account and Ignore It.
      Last edited by KJ1I; 04-17-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: sticky keyboard
      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Sort of sounds like some kind of scam to me. Why can't he just pay the shipping agent? How are the items you sold supposed to meet up with the other items he bought so they can be shipped at the same time? I do also believe that he has a certain time frame he can put a dispute in to paypal for a refund.

Comment

Tell him to send you the $660 and you will give the "pickup agent" $310 in cash when he shows up to get the machine tool item.

$20 says you never hear from the guy again.

Steve

Comment

I've only used western union once, but from what I remember, it wasn't cheap. at a minimum find out what they charge and get enough money.
            When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

only because i have some other items that i bought in USA
              >which i want it to be shipped together with the item
              maybe I am just being especially thick but how does one have some bought items and get them together to be shipped at the same time with another item (from different places geographically one assumes) and from different "companies"?
              I know large companies ship what they have in stock and drop ship other items that is all, effectively, under one roof ...anything is possible, but...

Comment

Guaranteed scam.

Comment

scam without a doubt!!
                  it works like this:
                  you get a comfirmation mail from paypal that the 660 is payed into your account
                  you send 310 through wenstern union to somebody unknown

then you find out the mail from paypall was a fraud and the money never got into your paypal account.....

Comment

Originally posted by janvanruth View Post
                    scam without a doubt!!
                    it works like this:
                    you get a comfirmation mail from paypal that the 660 is payed into your account
                    you send 310 through wenstern union to somebody unknown
                    then you find out the mail from paypall was a fraud and the money never got into your paypal account.....
                    Nope, Even worse, he can send the money via paypal and then He will simply declare YOU never sent the item and demand a refund back from paypal, paypal will give it to him, subtracting it from your BANK ACCOUNT if linked if there is no paypal balance to cover it.

Your paypal account may then get frozen (You will be unable to withdrawl any balance) for up to 6+ months 'due to fraud' and your bank account will tell you that you authorized paypal to make random withdrawls by giving them your bank account information and they will NOT reverse the transaction. Paypal will ask you to prove that you did indeed send the item and will basiclly consider you to be lying no matter what you do as paypal is HEAVILY buyer biased.

Only if your paypal is linked to a CC can you reverse the charges (Of course your paypal balance will be gone and paypal will terminate your account for doing so)

So yes, I 100% guarentee you this is a fraud. Do not send ANY portion of your paypal payment for an item to ANYONE or you WILL be screwed over.

This is the standard "I overpay, so you have to give extra money to conman B, then it turns out I never paid/got refund on payment" scam.
                    Last edited by Black_Moons; 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I dare to bet my left or right testicle that this is a scam.
                      I,m in the Netherlands and do a lot of buy´s on ebay.com
                      Always use paypall Western union is a big NONO.
                      On larger Items ( cars / trailers)
                      I arange the shipping and pay the shipper direct, no need to do that trough the seller.
                      same with transport to the port, I arange that trough youship.com or others.
                      This kind of scam artist make it a lot harder for the honest overseas buyer to buy from the US , becouse my English is not perfect, I´m so many times calles a scam artist.
                      Those scammers deserve a 20 feet long rope on a 30 feet high tree.

Comment

If it smells like a scam,...
                        Doug

Comment

Western Union is a huge hassle. If you check you will find there are plenty of places to buy their "money orders" but no places to convert them to cash. My credit union said a WU MO can be reversed weeks later. They thought it was worse than a personal check. In contrast a USPS MO can be converted to cash.

I did not get screwed, but I'll never accept a WU MO again.

Comment

It is a scam, 99.999% of people in NZ have never had any dealings whatsoever with Western Union (however if you are a Kiwi and interested I think the Post Shops are local agents for that company).

It is a scam.

Comment

Someone I know lost $5K in a similar deal. Involved a wire transfer through Western Union. Craigslist has a posting on its site (avoiding scams) where they tell you to NEVER use a wire service such as western union, that it is most likely a scam.

Once the money is wired, it is gone and can't be traced. Seen it happen. Definitely a scam.

Comment

Working...
                              X