No announcement yet.

OT - Am I Being Set-Up for a Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask him if he also happens to have $20,000,000 in a Nigerian bank account.

Comment

no. 1 rule: if something smells fishy, most likely it's a fish

I'm not into betting with my testicles as I'm a bad gambler and rather fond of "The Boys", but this is a scam through and through. Don't even bother responding as your email will just be added to a "this is a real email" list and sold to other scammers.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwheels View Post
        I dare to bet my left or right testicle that this is a scam.
        I,m in the Netherlands and do a lot of buy´s on ebay.com
        Always use paypall Western union is a big NONO.
        On larger Items ( cars / trailers)
        I arange the shipping and pay the shipper direct, no need to do that trough the seller.
        same with transport to the port, I arange that trough youship.com or others.
        This kind of scam artist make it a lot harder for the honest overseas buyer to buy from the US , becouse my English is not perfect, I´m so many times calles a scam artist.
        Those scammers deserve a 20 feet long rope on a 30 feet high tree.
        I like the rope one, A red hot fire poker stuck up their arse, cold end first, so they burn their fingers pulling it out! Lol
        Mark

Comment

Doesn't matter if it is a scam or isn't a scam - it looks like a scam and that alone is enough reason to kick the can down the road.

Comment

This is 99.9% a scam. Though I routinely consolidate shipments to me from USA. I buy something in one place and have it shipped to another place I bought something and then have them shipped in one container to me. Of course this is all arranged with the final destination in USA before being shipped to me. If it was legit he would/should contact the last spot in the chain and send them the extra money, not you.

Send the money to me. I will send it to the other person!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I was once selling my scooter (sorry, not pink) and one guy set up a similar scenario. I immediately figured out it is a scam, but wasn't exactly sure and followed through. He sent me an email saying "I have now paid through PayPal, once the money comes you pay the extra back".

Well, whaddaya know, half an hour later I got an email that looked like a PayPal announcement for "you got paid". Well, the email was very niccely crafted and quick visual inspection could have fooled me, especially when the links where all okay, my name was there and the visual appearance was right. Header information was forged, so it looked like it is coming from PayPal.

Easy way to check was this: open web browser, go to paypal.com, login and notice that there is no extra money anywhere and no history of any said transaction happened.

SCAM, plain and simple.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                Easy way to check was this: open web browser, go to paypal.com, login and notice that there is no extra money anywhere and no history of any said transaction happened.

SCAM, plain and simple.
                Again, don't even trust the balance if it is in your paypal account. Paypal is HEAVILY buyer biased and will reverse the transfer with no recourse for the seller if the buyer hits the 'refund' button. He does not want the item at all, He just wants the money transfer.

It could also be money sent from a hacked paypal account and then your account will basically get frozen for accepting a fraudulent transaction after the transaction is reversed once the owner complains.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  I like the rope one, A red hot fire poker stuck up their arse, cold end first, so they burn their fingers pulling it out! Lol
                  Mark

LOL - You Brits are great for expressions.
                  Like here in Canada, "arse" tends to be used more than "ass" - and for some reason it always brings a smirk to my face.
                  The best ones are those that you have to google and search to figure out what the hell is being said -
                  "goes like the clappers"
                  "a wee bit of dram and then get some kip"
                  the list is endless....

sorry for the tangent lads....

Carry on....

Comment

I really appreciate the inputs. I was about 80% sure it was a scam but now I positive it is.

The one thing which bothered me was there was no mention of how to crate up the machine and weight of it. How could the $310 shipping cost be determined if the size and weight of the crate are unknown?

If I get a reply, I ask for the name and address of the shipping company and I pay them cash when they arrive.

Thanks.
                    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                      Again, don't even trust the balance if it is in your paypal account. Paypal is HEAVILY buyer biased and will reverse the transfer with no recourse for the seller if the buyer hits the 'refund' button. He does not want the item at all, He just wants the money transfer.

It could also be money sent from a hacked paypal account and then your account will basically get frozen for accepting a fraudulent transaction after the transaction is reversed once the owner complains.
                      I said that when you see an empty balance eventhough someone claims to have sent you money, it just proves the email from "PayPal" was indeed fake.

And getting a refund is not just a simple press a button system, it doesn't automatically guarantee you get your money back.
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Leave this well alone my friend it is a bit stinky to me and I am in Scotland.You will only take on a very big problem that will end in grief we would all like to think that buyers are all honest but, over the last number of decades in my life,I have had to learn the following don't give anyone cash before the job is done don't lend to anyone even family as my brother did me big time then dissapeared,stole from me when I was in business a lot ,he even bough a lot of stuff and put it on my account and lied and lied and lied til he was blue in the face.So don't trust them the only people I trust now is my wife and children grandchilkdren and my daughter in law if your not one of those.I lent people money too easily when I was younger and not ONCE did I get it back without difficulty.The borrowers were never embarrased and even told me to take them to court as I couldn't get blood oput of a stone.end of rant but be careful brother there are lots of rats out there who do this kind of thing for a living,it is highly profitable and these days jail is not a problem for them you can get a very small sentence even for murder here in the UK as the jails are overcrowded and the judges magistrates are told to stop sending people to prison as it costs too much and the crooks know all the rules re this believe me.AAAAAAACCCCCCCHHHHHH doorty fur king Bar stewards. LOL Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

BigBoy 1 A few weeks ago, I received a very nicely crafted letter telling me I had won £900,000 on an Australian lottery, organised by the Bank of Australia, ( funny thing is I don't do lotteries, really weird, I must be getting absent minded) This outfit even had a telephone number in London, Well sounds good a telephone number in London, More likely to be London in Nigeria! I would love to know how these Barstewards get ones names & addresses, The same goes for my telephone number which is ex directory, The swine's still seem to access it
                          Alistair says they are rats, Sorry Alistair you are doing the poor rodents a disservice, They are nice wee guys compared to these scammers As was said a red hot poker up their arses is a good idea, Heated both ends heat resistant gloves help your hands, & don't forget a funnel inserted first so you do not burn their rectums!
                          your request is the same as mine, Don't touch it with a barge pole

Comment

Just a little piece of information that might throw some light on things. In certain West African nations, there's a slang phrase "Can you Western me", which means "Can you send me some cash" - it's a very common way of transferring funds.

I also wouldn't be queuing up to take part. More about it: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling...m/td-p/2394948

Ian
                            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I just read your post and it is verry clear that this person will rip you. If you want to play with him go for it but dont loose any money. I had similar e-mails
                              when i sell items

Comment

You could do what I do, and ask them as a matter of trust to send you a small amount of money first and you will send it straight back once you receive it.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                                X