more on drill mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more on drill mill

I completely dissasembled the quill and spindle on my Strands drill press this afternoon. As I supposed, the spindle nose bearing is a massive tapered roller bearing, about 2 3/4" X 1". It won't pose a problem using it as a mill. Also, the end play in the spindle is adjustable and can be preloaded. I have also figured out a very simple way to hold the collets in the spindle with no extension or sleeve as well as a way to easily remove them. It resembles the drawing I made in the previous post but no adapter sleeve is necessary. I will test it when I have the collet push clamp made by simply holding some work in the vise and rotating the table to mill a part (facing cut). If that works to satisfaction, and I think it will, then I will build a table. One milling machine, coming up.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Good going Evan. On the preload, how do you go about adjusting it so you don't get it too tight?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike W:
      Good going Evan. On the preload, how do you go about adjusting it so you don't get it too tight?</font>
      Use a smaller cheater bar.

Go for it Evan

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Pics at eleven...

Comment

He he he... John, I think that this is a project after your ilk. I don't need the pics, I have the spindle and nose bearing cover in the lathe as we speak. I sure am glad that I bought quality chucks back in the early 80's. The spindle won't fit the spindle bore on the SB9 but even with it sticking out 10 inches it still doesn't chatter and is concentric to a few thou. It will take six 6-32 cap screws to hold the collet adapter in place. Trivial, with my indexing attachment. He he he he.... ( this trivial thing is giving me a small headache, but I have to make a good show of it)

Comment

I'll post some pics of my 'afternoon project' later
            It's 4.20 pm here and I already have two hours into it

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 05-10-2004).]
              To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

George,

I will e-mail you Monday.

Comment

Working...
                X