Differences of quick-change toolposts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences of quick-change toolposts

Current issue of Machinist's Workshop has an ad (page 13) showing two styles of AXA/BXA toolposts & holders.

One (more expensive) is labeled as a "wedge type" while the other has no additional description.

Is the wedge-type a better tool (price suggests that it is)? Why?

The "wedge" type tool holder retention is a bit more rigid than the "piston" type but some might disagree.

Quick chage tool posts last a long time in the home shop. Shop wisely: buy in haste (least cost), repent in liesure.

Comment

+1 on the buy wisely advice.

Wedge, Wedge, Wedge! , Repeatability Repeatability, Repeatability! Get the best wedge style post you can afford & you'll never regret it. You can go chea...uhh, cost effective on the holders but get a good wedge post!
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I would with out a doubt go with the wedge type. They pull the tool holder into the post while the piston type pushes it away.
        I believe you have more surface bearing with the wedge type vs the piston type.

JL.............

Comment

I would like to try one of these>>
          RAPID H.D. Q.C. LATHE TOOLPOST & HOLDERS
          MADE IN ITALY
          RAPID MODEL #B TOOLPOST FOR LATHES 13' TO 20" SWING (350 TO 500MM)

And I've allways wanted to use one of those old 40 position toolposts with the vertical round channels all the way around.
          Only seen two of them, one not under power, and the other in a shop where you don't use any but your
          assigned machine.

Last edited by Old Hat; 04-27-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and go with the MultiFix style toolpost--far more versatile than any of the others...
            Keith

Comment

One of the advantages of the standard wedge style post is readily available tool holders, both new and used, for reasonable prices. There is also a huge variety of special purpose holders if needed. All the other variants, foreign and domestic, need their own design holders and the prices are usually very high. IMHO the Dorian post is top of the line with the Aloris style a close second. I like Phase II( imported) holders as they are cheaper than domestic holders, but well made with hardened and ground surfaces in the dovetail and good finishes. My recommendation is once you get the lathe you plan to keep long term, buy a quality QCTP as soon as possible and enjoy it's benefits from that point forward. You won't be sorry.

RWO

Comment

+1 for the Phase II. That's what I purchased for my 10 x 24. I also went with the wedge style, based both on comments here on the forum and in one of my lathe setup and use books. I've purchased a few Phase II items as well as a few "no name" Chinese import items and across the board the Phase II have finer fit and finish over the no name's. On the other hand, if you've got the funds, the Dorian and Aloris are the Mercedes and Cadillacs of tool post holders.
                Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                  Those are commonly called "Dickson" tool holders, also known as T type I think.
                  We have one of those mounted on a lathe at work. It's nice. I'm sure they don't have to be proprietary fit, but ours fits into a hole on the compound rather than a T-slot.
                  Also, I priced some tool blocks and found that they were surprisingly inexpensive - I expected them to be very high.

At home I have Aloris wedge type and I like them just as much. The Dickson type are more common than I knew, but the dovetail type have got to be the most common around. The only advantage I can think of off the top of my head on the dovetail type is that IF the Dickson type V-grooves aren't spaced correctly, then I'd guess it to be skewed and not repeatable while the dovetail type will just end up with the clamp lever at a slightly different position if it's wider/narrower than ideal.

Comment

Here is my take on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4qPD6YPuM
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

No complaints with my home made piston type. It holds the tool.
                      Andy

Comment

Old Hat, The second photo is of a Multifix tool holder system. It is the most common system over here in Germany. I have one on my lathe and love it.
                        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_B View Post
                          Here is my take on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4qPD6YPuM

Looks like the piston repeats pretty well in that video. Who cares how loose the holder is when unlocked so long as it repeats the same position when locked down.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                            Looks like the piston repeats pretty well in that video. Who cares how loose the holder is when unlocked so long as it repeats the same position when locked down.

Yep, the piston does repeat within a couple of thou but the wedge is much better. Just showing the results I got...
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

Repeatability for production is important but in a home shop, doing one offs mostly, the difference between a wedge or piston isn't that big a deal.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Working...
                              X