Hauling a surface grinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling a surface grinder.

I just bought an old Brown & Sharpe No. 2 surface grinder on E-bay. Now the problem is getting it home. I’m thinking about laying it down in my trailer to lower the center of gravity. Does anyone know of a problem with laying one on its back?

Steve

Might be better to just take it off the stand.

Comment

I would bolt the machine to 2x6 planks placed crosswise under it. Bolt the end of these planks to 2 more 2x6 planks placed lengthwise under the first 2. Bolt short sections of 2x6 under the two that the machine is bolted to. Make the planks a foot or so shorter than the trailer is wide. Bolt the planks to the trailer floor. Place a 1x6 cut to length on the table and lower the grinding head down on top of it. Then boom the machine down all 4 directions. By using the long planks you will have increased the foot print of the machine making it less likely to tip. If your machine is made like my Sanford grinder then the top table just sits on top of the scraped ways of the bottom table. The bottom table is held in place only by the cross feed screw as it rides on scraped ways also.

Comment

Whatever you do,DO NOT STRAP,CHAIN OR BIND DOWN ARCOSS THE TABLE,this will warp the table suprisingly easy.If its a rack and pinion drive table I usually lift them off and haul on a seperate piece of wood as they tend to slide back and forth easy.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Sorry, I was not clear enough about the tables. They are very delicate on these machines and easily damaged. Thanks WS.

Comment

I just experienced moving the same model grinder about a month ago.

Thought I was smart, and would tip the grinder back into the pickup bed, after picking it up a few feet off the ground with a pallet jack.

Unfortunately, the previous owner hadn't installed the hold down bolts through the cabinet, and the grinder nearly tipped off entirely.

With some assistance, I just picked the grinder up off the stand, sat it in the bed, then picked up the cabinet and sat it behind it.

Comment

I like using small trailers, that I can tip the back down to load and unload.

Strap this machine down well, and correctly, bracing it also helps. A few 2 x 4s or larger lumber in 4 to 6 foot length helps.

If you need to move it in to your shop and you don't have a hoist or a pallet jack, get some iron pipe and use it for rollers. The Egyptians used this method and they moved big stuff.

Jerry

Comment

Hi fireball,

Does the grinder come off the stand easly? From the picture it doesn't seem to. That would be the idea way to move it.
                Also how has the grinder worked for you?

Steve

Comment

Don't strap across the table. but do tie it down as it can bounce off. I hauled mine in one piece in the backup of the pickup. It did seem to come close to tipping over going over some RR tracks. (The tiedowns had stretched or loosened a little) Congrats on the purchase you will like it

Jon Bohlander
                  Jon Bohlander
                  My PM Blog

Comment

I had the grinder off the stand in seconds. In looking at the stand/grinder assembly, you would swear they were one piece.

Grinder works really well, I had my heart set on a Clausing or Bridgeport, but this little grinder has done a great job for the money.

The shop I bought it from(going out of business), threw in about 300 lbs of NEW grinding wheels. Some of which I can't even identify as to what they are(odd looking compounds)....the shop did a lot of aluminum work, I have yet to research the possibilities of grinding aluminum....

Comment

Working...
                    X