• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Inventor seems to be Skandinavian --
    *gringe* Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Nordic country for sure, but not Scandinavia

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    I have to laugh at all of the above, cause it's all true. LOL
    But at "only" $300US delivered it's a steal. It's just that I don't think the buyer is the one doing the stealing.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Fisher
    replied
    I could split that wood with my hatchet. Let him try a piece with knots instead of straight grained
    .Bob.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by boslab View Post
    not well thought through, a log splitter is better if he is so uncoordinated he hits his own feet!

Mark
    Ahh yes and the big sales pitch for "safety" (even though he's created a very dangerous chaotic POS) How can you hit yourself with an axe while chopping wood? is he laying the wood on the ground horizontally and trying to swing into himself whilst holding the wood with his feet?

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Poor chap has probably never seen a maul which really revolutionised my firewood splitting.
    Im with you on that as an axe is just too light for me to get any real work done - and in fact most mauls are so I built my maul from a massive sledge and took one side down on the mill (destroyed an endmill in the process) still a great sledge and now does double duty as a kinetic improviser/wood splitter.

with the offset head in the OP im thinking lawsuit when someones elbows go bad from repetitive use, they also better put one hell of a handle on it due to all the freaky torsional forces it will be going up against,,, It IS stupid to have the heads weight off center as then you are counting on a pre-conceived amount of penetration to therefore then be manipulated by torsional forces - and guess what? not all wood is created equal - and not even all the same kind of wood is uniform, so when you go up against a tough spot you will not get any depth yet get an even more amplified torsional effect,,,

That's just plain easy to see as a total brain fart, maybe something someone should have given a slight thought too when they were as high as a kite and then immediately correct themselves before they grabbed a pencil to even waist the time sketching it...

It's too bad there are people building all kinds of stuff that don't have a lick of common sense esp. in the engineering department,,, but given enough free time and money to waste - well - here we are,

it's hard to beat brute force, and there is a built in splitting action in any axe or maul simply due to the wedge, but if you must use a gadget to think somehow you have an "edge" and give yourself the illusion of being "intelligent" ---

then at least keep your forces direct, then when the mechanism goes up against all different types of situations at least it will still behave normally - that's at least what this unit does, there are pivoting structures built on each side of the head to counteract each other - and sure now as if you don't have enough worry about losing a maul head off the handle you now have the worry about mechanisms flying off the head itself...

but I would much rather use this "gimmick" than the POS in the OP...

Im kinda thinking there is some effect to this unit as it does throw the wood off to the side with unusual "gusto"

check it out as this guy almost destroys his house lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR-7Yy3dgr8

Still - in both this vid and the OP you are seeing extremely easy wood to split... I would not waste my time on gadgets, Go direct, sink it in deep enough and it will come apart... that's the very nature of how a wedge works...

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    It would seem to me that the twisting motion on impact would not do your wrists any good. Holding loose enough for this not to be a problem seems not such a good idea for obvious reasons.
    I would agree completely, depending on the offset of the CG and or centre of mass a percentage of the foreword momentum of the "axe" has to be converted to rotational torque on the handle, the rotation would as far as i can see stop when the bump on the side hits the top of the log but I'm guessing 5 degrees, that energy that would have been available for splitting the fibres of the wood has now ended up rotating the tendons of your arms and wrists, a recipe for injury or RSI.
    I can imagine quite a shock wave in your forearms!, not well thought through, a log splitter is better if he is so uncoordinated he hits his own feet!
    Suppose his chainsaw has an abrasive rubber belt to keep him from the nasty sharp teeth, and his dig has polyurethane dentures after removing all them bitey bits.
    The world is mad, worse in Europe these days
    We have the Eurovision song contest for fun, entry no5 defies any explanation!
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0a2_1379336541
    I give up, can i come and live in the US please?
    Mark
    Last edited by boslab; 05-09-2014, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFluffy
    replied
    Its the daily mail reporting it, what do you expect? Its targetted at mostly middle-class people in their twenties and thirties and female readers.
    Wood burning in urban areas is banned pretty much in towns etc where most of their readership live, in fact coal is a bygone thing too, its all gas and electric central heating in surburbia.
    Therefore, I would expect a very very very small % of their readership will have, or will ever have need to, swing a axe to split or fell something for firewood. So its just filler material to use some space up in the mail designed to appeal to hipsters with rose tinted visions of a steampunk lifestyle. So they can print what they like and the readers will lap it up as curious and interesting.

I heat my house on wood in a furnace, but I'll stick to buying them ready cut and split or split in a dedicated splitter, and felling stuff with a chainsaw. When I did use a axe to split, I recall my main frustration was getting it stuck when wood wasnt dry enough inside, for which this axe is actually much worse by design. Sounds like hard work. Why didnt he just hire a wood processor for the day and get all his wood prepped in one go instead of making a big job of it?

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    I heard an interview with this guy on the radio, thought just another piece of crap to buy, i have split a pile of wood in my 42 years of burning wood, done correctly, with the proper axe/maul, and seeing the different grains and knots in firewood blocks, most problems can be eliminated, and have wood splitting be a generaly great form of exercise, instead of a bunch of frustration.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Inventor seems to be Skandinavian where all the wood is fir or birch and will split with only an inch penetration and a bit of leverage. Poor chap has probably never seen a maul which really revolutionised my firewood splitting.
    Another laughable thing one sometimes sees in films it the actor who has obvioulsy been brought up with oil cental heating in a city placing the token 'log' on its side. The film always omits to show the ineffectual actual strike.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    I see in the last few seconds of the video, he bashes the handle into the log pieces. If those pieces weren't there, the thing might have swung down and into his leg- what's safe about it if you are getting a false sense of security through all the hype-

There seems to be a sleeve of some kind on the handle, right behind the head. A hand is gripping it- I wonder if that sleeve is supposed to allow the handle to rotate within it, or if it's just for softening the blow from handle strikes. Gut feeling- I'll stay with a real axe.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    It would seem to me that the twisting motion on impact would not do your wrists any good. Holding loose enough for this not to be a problem seems not such a good idea for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Originally posted by gcude View Post
    "stops momentum on impact". Well how do you ever split wood if momentum is stopped as soon as the axe strikes the wood. Bozo, engineering and bozo reporting.
    Seems the laws of motion are different up there!
    What a silly looking contraption
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    "stops momentum on impact". Well how do you ever split wood if momentum is stopped as soon as the axe strikes the wood. Bozo, engineering and bozo reporting.
    Well, clearly the thing stops some time *after* the edge has entered the wood........... it's a poor choice of words to describe what is obvious. if it stopped "on impact" it would be a hammer, not an axe.

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    I wondered exactly the same thing. Its a splitter that would never split 90% of the firewood.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    It's not totally stupid.... so long as you consider it to be a splitter and not an "axe".

I do NOT like teh center of gravity deal, and the story seems to confirm my first though when I saw it.... they mention the suggestion to "hold it loosely". I should imagine that is because the thing will twist the handle as it strikes.

Now, I do not know about you, but I very much resent things that twist their handles. It raises blisters in new spots, and I become very unpleasant to deal with for the whole time I am using the thing. So I already don't like it, although I can appreciate the thought, and even the design.

If you have a proper length axe handle ("proper" to me is fairly long), the issue of chopping yourself becomes much less of an issue. The axe simply does not swing through even if the wood splits out or otherwise fails to stop the axe head.

I have noticed that more people damage themselves with hatchets than axes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X