Vortec cold air gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,
    I'd be curious to learn what psi you're using and the relative volume. All I've ever heard is that they require a lot of cfm, but your comments seem to differ. What size air compressor and how often does it have to run to keep up?

Comment

Hi Arthur ..

I have a standard 60gal vertical. Normaly Rated 14scfm @ 40, 10scfm @ 90

But the old pump was getting really noisy (rod knock) so I changed it out with quieter one but its smaller. I had to use a different motor pulley with the new pump and its only
      turning the pump @ 500rpm which is pretty slow. (New pulley ordered)

I have it set low at 120psi because it still takes like 30 min to fill it. So in other words
      my compressor right now is pretty low performance.

Anyways .. the way it sits .. when I put air to the vortec .. it slowly drops down
      from 120 to 100 where it cycles on ... and stays running not dropping any further
      but not rising either. So I could technically run it as long as needed.

But .... you would have to guess at the numbers.

Mike
      John Titor, when are you.

Comment

So Mike, you are basically using about 10 SCFM to run ONE of these things. That sounds like a lot of air to me. It is certainly doable, but still a lot of air. If you are installing this in a commercial environment you need to carefully consider the costs.

Originally posted by mikeamick View Post
        Hi Arthur ..

I have a standard 60gal vertical. Normaly Rated 14scfm @ 40, 10scfm @ 90

But the old pump was getting really noisy (rod knock) so I changed it out with quieter one but its smaller. I had to use a different motor pulley with the new pump and its only
        turning the pump @ 500rpm which is pretty slow. (New pulley ordered)

I have it set low at 120psi because it still takes like 30 min to fill it. So in other words
        my compressor right now is pretty low performance.

Anyways .. the way it sits .. when I put air to the vortec .. it slowly drops down
        from 120 to 100 where it cycles on ... and stays running not dropping any further
        but not rising either. So I could technically run it as long as needed.

But .... you would have to guess at the numbers.

Mike
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Yea thanks Paul ..

I definitely wasn't suggesting this for that type of environment (commercial)

But ..

Like a lot of hobbyist, I am not set up to use coolant. Because of this, I find(found) myself
          avoiding the larger steel projects.

Now I don't.

When I cut steel ... I just grap it off the shelf, make my cut and put it back.

I was really just hoping to dispel some of the myths.

Needs to much air ..
          Way to loud ..
          Not practical for machining ..

I'm just here to say that this little vortec I have is none of that ..

Am installing a DRO right now, but after that I am going to tackle that retractable
          threading tool I have been putting off because its all steel.

Mike A
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
            but if you procrastinate sufficiently it'll go away. :-)
            ...lew...
            I like that
            and nice to see someone who knows the meaning of 'procrastinate'. UK Members of Parliament in news reports keep mixing it up with 'prevaricate' despite being well versed in both actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip View Post
              Dyson has "Invented" a ring type unit on a stand at an inflated (must be using the airflow) price, Curry's sell it.

Regards Ian.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-ap...80770-pdt.html
              Not the same thing. The Dyson is nothing but a "bladeless" fan.

Comment

Working...
              X