No announcement yet.

OT: Testing microwaves for radiation leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unplug the microwave, put your cell phone in it. Call your cell phone. If it rings .. There is most likely a leak. The thought around this is if the RF can get in to the cell phone, The RF can leak out. I have tried this. I assumed my microwave was OK as the phone did not receive a call. Let me know how this worked out for you if you would be so kind.

Ray

Comment

There is a wavelength associated with a frequency. I don't recall, and I'm not doing the math this early in the day, but for a microwave frequency I believe it's about 5 inches. That won't go through a gap of 1/8 inch. Only the highest harmonics would even have a chance, and the higher the harmonic the less energy will be in it anyway. There may be 1500 watts flashing around inside the cavity, but I doubt that 2 watts would be escaping- probably less. Consider having your cell phone pasted to the side of your head for the duration of a call- your exposure to microwave energy would be more like 10,000 times as high, considering the closeness of the source to your skin and the inverse square law where energy drops off by the square of the distance from the source.
      If you wanted to try gauging the relative effects, you could place your ear directly against the gap between the microwave door and the cabinet while nuking a cup of water for the typical duration of a phone call-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I already tried the cell phone trick on my first inquiry into this issue. That is to say, I put my cell phone inside both the older microwave and the new one (different brands but almost identical) and called my cell phone from a land line. The cell phone rang inside both microwaves.

The thought here is I guess that both microwave ovens and cell towers broadcast in the 2.4 Ghz range and therefore if waves are blocked they won't get in as well

Just for fun I also tried to test ways to keep my cell phone from communicating. I tried aluminum screen mesh (which is supposed to block the dastardly radiation from digital electronic house meters). Cell phone rang. Tried aluminum foil loosely wrapped around the phone. It rang.
        Went back and completely closed every little crevice in the aluminum foil and finally my phone would not receive a call.

Comment

Originally posted by koda2 View Post
          The thought here is I guess that both microwave ovens and cell towers broadcast in the 2.4 Ghz range and therefore if waves are blocked they won't get in as well
          Cell phoes operate on 850, 950, 1800 and 1900 MHz bands, not at 2.4GHz.
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

You're right.

Not sure where I came up with that misconception, digital cordless phones maybe.

Would this meter be a reliable way to test microwaves?
            http://www.trifield.com/content/trifield-meter/

Comment

When microwaves first hit the consumer market I bought an Amana primarily because of the leakage issue. Remember the bowling ball slamming oi to the door? It was expensive in its day, about $450 if I recall correctly, but my wife would have no other brand.Bob.

Comment

Working...
              X