Dead Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Centers

I need a straight shanked dead center either 60 degree or 45 degree. The hsnak can be 1/2 inch or larger.

Normally I would make one, but I need one to check some alignments and if I cut one and my machines are not aligned, the dead center will have the misalignment

Any one know where I get one?

Jerry

If you make your own where could the misalignment be even if your lathe is misaligned? You would only be using the headstock to make it, not the headstock and tailstock.

I guess I'm missing something.

Comment

Jerry,

If you make one it will be as accurate as the shaft is centered in the chuck. If you dial it in with a four jaw you should be able to get it better than .001. Is that not good enough?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

let me look in my box and see what I have.

Comment

If you make it, mark it's orientation in the chuck. It should repeat quite well. Anything I make like this ends up getting a slight indent where the chuck jaws bear against it, giving me the 'locating' marks to use when rechucking it to the exact same orientation each time. I'm always very careful when remounting the chuck, and the runout is consistent and repeatable, so the process works for me.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Found it. Its a CT00. Somma sells them. It a half inch in diameter with a 60 deg point. let me know and it's yours.

Comment

One of the best way of aligning your head stock and your tail stock is to use two dead centers, one for each end. Ehen you get the points touch, tip to tip, then you can start to use finer instruments for the slight adjustments.

This is the way many have told me to set my lathe up. If it works for them, then it must be worth doing.

Jerry

Comment

Rusty,
                I tried to email you and the email bounced. Please contact me when ever you can.

Jerry

Comment

email sent

Comment

Working...
                  X