Horizantel Shop made Knee Mill attchment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizantel Shop made Knee Mill attchment

I bean searching the files no luck. Does any one remember the thread on the shop made horizantel knee mill attachment
    Thanks

This one?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/60843

Notice the spelling of "horizontal"

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon View Post
      This one?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/60843

Thank You thats the one

Comment

DANG IT!!!! I just finished a project that would have been easier with this attachment, now look what you guys have done!!!!! I was just yesterday thinking that it might be possible to build such an attachment, don't know how I missed that other thread but no matter because I see it now and my next project will start this week. THANK YOU for bringing this up!

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
          DANG IT!!!! I just finished a project that would have been easier with this attachment, now look what you guys have done!!!!! I was just yesterday thinking that it might be possible to build such an attachment, don't know how I missed that other thread but no matter because I see it now and my next project will start this week. THANK YOU for bringing this up!
          radkins
          Let us know how it goes. Can you make 2 while your at it ?

Comment

I've always been kind of leery of using one of the RA adapters for any side milling or boring. Small diameter end mills, OK as there is less chance of snagging. Drilling I'm comfortable with but milling or side cutting............. The mills quill does rotate slightly in it's bore, any snag of the end mill could cause this to happen, and if the RA adapter slips on the quill it could be good by quill. I think it was really designed to be used with the long arbor and the support bracket / bearing. But I know people use it as a stand alone adapter.

JL..................

Comment

Removed post because after thinking about what I was suggesting it is obviously a perfectly DUMB idea that would not work, that's what I get for posting before thinking it over!
              Last edited by radkins; 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I like the idea of putting the gears in the tube cage ... that may well simplify things.

Below is image of something I have tinkered with from time to time.

The need to stop the spindle from doing its "slight twist" thing is resolved by anchoring the rig to the mills dovetail.

What is lost (leastways thus far in the design) is the ability to change the angle of the cut.

Cheers,
                Norman

Comment

If anyone is interested I found those gears on Amazon that were mentioned in the "How to" article for building one of these things,

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-L1.../dp/B004N62RBC

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-L1.../dp/B004N62RBW

Found here,

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/new...109.pdf#page=6

I found that article when I followed the link provided here by OC to the other thread on this site, looks like a very do-able project! Those two gears from Boston gear are on Amazon for around $100 for both parts, the rest looks to be items that can be scrounged locally and in fact except for the bearings I probably have everything on hand already.
                  Last edited by radkins; 06-03-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Since building the one referred to by Optics Curmudgeon, I have found another way to skin the cat!

This article in HMEM http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....achment-23003/ uses a potentially less expensive (and quieter?) gear set. Worth considering.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon View Post
                      ]

I think he's "bean" looking for that

it's all good GEP were not the spelling Nazi's ------- but do at least straighten out your signature post, there's nothing wrong with being incorrect once in awhile but your sig post makes it a guarantee that you will be wrong every single time

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
                        I bean searching the files no luck. Does any one remember the thread on the shop made horizantel knee mill attachment
                        Thanks
                        Because of the comment about spelling I thought I would help you out GEP with your signature line.

It should read: The Ho that doesn't believe in values has no values!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Boomer
                          My spelling is bad i addmit but are we here for spelling corrections ? Ah i know you sit in front of the computer all day and find false with others. Get a life

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            Because of the comment about spelling I thought I would help you out GEP with your signature line.

It should read: The Ho that doesn't believe in values has no values!
                            Hey Black Forest

You correct the germans in there spelling as well
                            I mostly do it on purpase so all of you can complain. Must be missrable to set if front of the computer all day

Comment

GEP, please don't take that the wrong way, these guys are not poking fun at you but rather just indulging in a bit jest which should never hurt anyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X