15" bridgeport rotary table too big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" bridgeport rotary table too big

I hurt my back unloading it, didn't realize how heavy it was. Took a month to feel better, it seems to be happening more and more lately so I need to start being more careful.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about building one of those hand carts with a winching lift platform. Kind of like a mini forklift. Then I could build miniature pallets for my rotary table, vise, and soforth. Pick 'em up from a shelf under a workbench, wheel 'em to the mill, slide them off. Or maybe a hydraulic table would be more useful. I don't think a crane would serve my needs as well.

I haven't even used it yet but I'm thinking a 15" rotary table might be too big for my needs anyhow, perhaps I should downsize.

Rotary table 200 lbs

6" Vise 100 lbs

What do you all do?

-the last picture in this link shows my overhead swing arm hoist for my mill----and explains some about it.

-I routinely use this hoist to lift the heavy mill vises using the small diameter air cylinder---and I also have a 3" air cylinder that I use to lift up to 300# engine blocks onto my mill from a roll around table.

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_1.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -there is about 30 other topics if you go to

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jone...o_Gallery.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -at post #33 of this link there is 4 pictures of my air cylinder lifting---including lifting a 297# BBF engine block onto the mill from the roll around table.

http://practicalmachinist.com/vb/gen...19/index2.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -my ceiling is not too high so I also use a short overhead rail and the same air cylinders to lift heavy flywheels etc onto my lathe from the same roll around table.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -I have a nice electric hoist up in my attic to where I can easily lift heavy stuff from a hand truck or off the floor up and onto the roll around table.

-the roll around table has about 3" diameter steel tubing legs welded to a 5/8" thick steel top about 30" x 40"----the table is sturdy enough to use as an engine run-in stand with fully assembled engines in the 600# range
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -this link shows the steel roll around table being used as a run-in stand for a 390 Ford style engine.
    http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_2.html
    Last edited by bill jones; 06-04-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

If you wind the table over to the end of its travel, does the mill tip over?

I have a 10", and it's on the big side.

I also have a 6", and it's a bit small.

May I suggest an 8"?

heh

t
      rusting in Seattle

Comment

I can relate.. This is a back saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias-B View Post
          If you wind the table over to the end of its travel, does the mill tip over? ... May I suggest an 8"?
          Yeah, 8" or 10" would probably be more reasonable but I guess I'm stuck with the 15" for now. The mill weighs more than my car. I decided to go big after I was annoyed that my bench top mini mill was always too small. This sort of thing happens when I look on craigslist.

Comment

Same problem here even with the vise. So for me it was just the case of bolting heavy sheet metal on a roll away tool box.
            exactly to match the mill table (cut out) slide it on. Even have a heavy 10 inch - cant lift that either.. and a 12 inch with a
            12 inch 4 jaw chuck. The cut out done by plasma, so it goes over the hand wheel and power feed motor and just crank the
            knee to match the toolbox. Now I can do it alone without help. cherry picker to much pain to manhandle alone.
            sam

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
              I can relate.. This is a back saver.

Thats beautiful, it looks like it has long travel too?, can we have a few photos please?
              Mark

Comment

I made this hump thing and mounted it to a toolbox, I store my Rotab on top and slide it off and on the mill table.

Cheers,

Glenn

Come visit the shop!

Comment

The 12" rotab and vise both live on the table, I dont use half of it normally so I just push one/other to the side. When I absolutely need to, one/both can slide off onto the cart where I keep the dividing head.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I have a 6" rotary table, so it's not a big problem, but the 6" Kurt vise is. Years ago I bought a vise support arm that bolts to the top of he knee dovetail. It has a double hinged arm and a rotatable vise jaw clamping block. I just lower the table until the arm lines up with the vise jaws and them tighten the vise jaws on the block. The I unbolt the vise from the table and lower the table until the vise lifts off the table. The I can swing the vise back out of the way, completely clearing the table. Very handy and easy to use. I can't believe I found it online; http://www.chukmate.com/

RWO

Comment

Hunt Craigslist for one of these: http://www.home-med-equip.com/catalo...nd-slings.html Great for heavy chucks and positioning workpieces as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SirLesPatterson View Post
                        I haven't even used it yet but I'm thinking a 15" rotary table might be too big for my needs anyhow, perhaps I should downsize.
                        I think your thinking is backwards, what you need to do is upsize(the mill that is).
                        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

I use a hydraulic table to get the heavy stuff on and off the mill. I have a couple of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-69148.html

The only difference is mine are bright orange.

I can raise the hydraulic table high enough to be level with the mill table. Then just slide the tooling from one to the other. I primarily use it for the vises (1 @ 100 lbs, and 1 @ 125 lbs) rotary table, and heavy pieces of work. For the really heavy stuff or things that need to go higher I have a 2,500 lb. winch attached to a carriage on an overhead I beam.

Comment

There the only way to go IF YOUR BUILDING FREIGHT BOAT PROPELLERS...

seriously - yes think about what you will be needing an RT for and if you need to go that big - in fact many bigger jobs can be done on smaller tables simply by adding a sub plate... 15" is huge

Comment

What do you all do?
                              Buy a cnc mill. Never have needed a rotary table.

Comment

Working...
                              X