Groundhogs undermining shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groundhogs undermining shop

Once again my shop is being undermined by groundhogs (badgers)digging at the back of my shop. For the past 4 yrs. i've been trapping and shooting to get rid of them. Yes, i always shoot away from the shop. I've even put broken glass where they are digging, but that doesn' work to keep them out. Does any one know of any good repellents for these critters.

Thanks,
    Frank

Fence wire on the ground or just below. Good heavy stuff.

Comment

Landmines!!!

Comment

I see you're in Hamburg, Pa. That wouldn't be anywhere close to Punxsatawney would it?

(Hmmm, ...not sure I want to be a part of this. )
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

well, too bad your shop is over it, what My grandpa and I did one year was pour gasoline down the holes and light the match. Once the fire got going, we covered up all the holes with dirt, smoke inhalation did him in. Was cool though, the fumes seamed to ignite all at once and BANG, ground shook.

Comment

Some gopher gas bombs should work. I knew a guy that made mines using .38 shells filled with black powder. They were fired by some kind of pad the gopher walked over to make contact with a battery.

Comment

Live trap them. Use a havahart box type trap,and use apples for bait. the thing about a trap, is it is always working for you. if you have the trap and bait there all the time, sooner or later you will get them all. also, consider a rat type poison if it would be safe.

Comment

do you really mean BADGERS?

badgers arent ground hogs.. they are like giant claw-fanged evil S.O.B's with a stripe down their back.

I personally like the .38 mine idea. but for badgers better use 12ga shells.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

Well atleast you didnt mistake a Skunk for the neighbors cat. Here kitty kitty, then I see the cat turn around, and start dancing with his hind legs, and I realised immediately it was not a cat.
                    Luckilly I ran back into the house before he sprayed.

Comment

Happy. Unfortunately all you'll acccomplish is to give someone else the problem. The only sure fire way is to kill them. Once they set up shop and have little ones they'll keep appearing year after year. Eradicate the ones that are there now and fill in the holes as best you can. Then bury wire fencing(like bernie says) and cover with coarse stones

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

I don't know the laws where you are, but where I'm at I was told by the DNR that they would not help me relocate (Pests):Badgers, Skunks, Beavers, Porcupines or just about any other creature that come onto my land. So now I shoot them. I do not like doing it, but it's my only option. As said before if you re-locate them, you'll just give the problem to someone else. Every year I get Beavers, Skunks, Badgers, and Porcupines. They do a great deal of damage to the trees and carry Rabies. Not to mention thousands of gophers.

P.S. Badgers seldom ATTACK people. They will run away if given the chance. A Wolverine WILL attack.

Comment

I'd just love to see my Karelian Bear Dog fight something like a badger. She has reflexes faster than a cat. She catches birds out of the air when they fly past her and she looks like she is sleeping. I don't think the badger would have a chance.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

For groundhogs, we used to put a hose on the tractor exhaust and stuff it in the hole for a few minutes and then stop it up with dirt. Nothing ever came out. Quiet and effective. Didn't disturb the neighbors.

Herb

Comment

Working...
                              X