Machinery's Handbook CD,HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinery's Handbook CD,HELP!

Okay,Kenc was kind enough to give me a copy of Machinery's Handbook CD version 1,Thanks Ken!

Only one problem,its written for Windows 3.1,95,98 but I have Me,It should load and run anyway right?Well I tried and nothing,anybody know if it is possible?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Bump!
    Can anyone help?

Comment

Wierd,

If you are expecting it to autostart and it doesn't then the autostart feature in Windows may be turned off.

Right click on "My Computer" on your desktop. Select "Properties". Click the device manager tab. In device manager ensure that "view devices by type" is selected. At the top of the device list is CDROM. Click the little plus sign to expand the device list. You will see an entry for your CDROM device. Double click it. Click the settings tab. Make sure the check box for "Auto Insert Notification" is checked. OK everything. If it wasn't checked and you have now checked it then restart your computer and try the MH1 cd again.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-12-2004).]
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I ran it in ME. It worked OK. I have since upgraded(?) to XP and have yet to try it.

I have 2000 at work and it worked there also.

PS: I hate XP.

Paul A.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Paul,

XP is better than ME. For that matter no computer is better than ME, less stress.

Right click on the desktop and select properties. Select Themes tab. Select the Windows classic theme. OK it. Then right click on the task bar. Select properties. Click the start menu tab. Select Classic Start menu. OK it. Presto, it looks just like ME.

Comment

Evan,I check it out and all was as it should be,but still no dice,anymore Ideas?Thanks.

Comment

I ran version 1 from the CD. I am not sure if it will load on to your HD, but I did run it under XP.

Jerry

Comment

Wierd,

Jerry has sent me the MH1 CD. I will have to wait until it gets here to have a look and maybe figure out why you are having trouble.

Comment

Okay,much thanks!

Comment

Sorry this doesn't answer the question, but I have MHb 25 & 26 CDs. Both run well on an HP 5270 laptop with Me. Primarily using v26 as it is in "Adobe" format and I have the files stashed on HD. Me is said to be unstable(?), my HP only bombs when I attempt to run some DOS stuff from the 80's to talk to old PLCs. Perhaps the CD isn't 100%.
                    ww

Comment

Weird,
                      I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but if you open the CD up in Explorer go to CD Drive:\ MH25CD, then Windows, then Win95-NT, then setup.exe will that work ??

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Evan,

I'm well aware of the improvements in PX. They certainly are an improvement on ME. And I've already done what you suggest. But, IMHO XP is just one more attempt by Microsoft to cram the latest version of "computer users are so stupid that they can't be trusted to do or know anything" at us. Frankly, I find it insulting.

If you can tell me how to get a Windows Explorer window with the directory tree displayed and opened to My Documents in it's actual place (not on the desktop) WHEN IT FIRST OPENS, I would love it. If you could get the directory to appear in the applications Save and Open windows with the true directory tree relationships (My Documents always opens at the top of the tree instead of the bottom where it actually is causing many more clicks to get to another directory), I would worship you as a true computer god.

Perhaps my mother would need this kind of "assistance" but I find it very distractive and time consuming.

I'm getting a new PC at work and have gotten on my knees to ask for 2000 instead of the XP it will certainly come with.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                        Paul,

XP is better than ME. For that matter no computer is better than ME, less stress.

Right click on the desktop and select properties. Select Themes tab. Select the Windows classic theme. OK it. Then right click on the task bar. Select properties. Click the start menu tab. Select Classic Start menu. OK it. Presto, it looks just like ME.
                        </font>
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Ok Paul. Please send collection plate offerings as you see fit.

First, search for the file explorer.exe (it is in the windows folder). Right click on it and select "Send to". Pick "Desktop, create shortcut". In Explorer right click on the My Documents item in the left panel and select properties. It will open a property sheet with the target location highlighted. Place the cursor on the highlighted text string and right click. Select "Copy". Close your windows and find the shortcut to explorer.exe that you made on the desktop. Right click on the shortcut icon and select properties. Delete the data in the "Start in" window and right click. Select "Paste" so that the target data appears there. OK the sheet. Now drag the icon down to the quick launch area by the start button on the task bar. Presto! You now have single click access to explorer that opens in my documents. If you don't have a quick launch area then right click on the task bar and select "Toolbars" and make sure "Quick launch" is checked.

For the next part you need to go to Microsoft and download TweakUI.

Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

Install TweakUI and then go to control panel. Start TweakUI. Select the "Open" tab. You may then customize the Custom Places bar of the open/save dialogs for most applications including one click access to My Documents.

An addendum: The new version of TweakUI opens with a tree structure instead of tabbed. Click on the Common Dialogs item to customize the custom places. Also, it is found on the Programs menu as Power Toys, not control panel.

You're Welcome

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-14-2004).]

Comment

What is wrong with Me?

My hard and fast rule of operating systems is: "Don't change unless there is a reason"

I kept Win 98 until long after Me was available, and only upgraded when I had some unstability with a driver in 98. So far I have no reason to upgrade to XP.

Comment

Comp,

ME is the least stable of the Windows series. It also has many compatibility issues. It is also the slowest version of Windows. It is amazingly easy to gibble beyond repair. It has more unpatched bugs than even version A of Win 95. It was rushed to market without sufficient testing so Microsoft could have a "New" product in time for the new millenium.

Comment

Working...
                              X