where to carry a spare key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to carry a spare key?

I ordered a 2015 Subaru Forester (base model) from the factory, and it arrived yesterday. I am in the process of getting it set up the way I like it.

One of the things I always carried, during the ten years I drove my 2004 Forester, was a spare car key. The key was a flat metal duplicate and it added virtually no thickness to my wallet. Twice during those years I locked the car with the keys left inside, so twice I was rescued by my spare key.

The locksmith at the Ace hardware said he could not make a workable duplicate of my 2015 key. "But this is just the valet key," I protested. It lacked the lock, unlock, and panic buttons on my primary key. He explained that any duplicate he made from it would set off the alarm system.

Back home, I opened the car door with the valet key. It set off the alarm, which I then turned off with the primary key. I read the Owners Manual and there is a procedure for disarming the alarm system, for occasions when you want to give the valet key to a mechanic or parking attendant.

I would just use the valet key as my spare, but it has a plastic handle which makes it too thick to fit into my wallet. Perhaps I could discard the plastic handle and use the flat part as my wallet spare, but I want to make sure I would not be throwing away some sort of chip, without which the whole alarm system would need to be reprogrammed.

Any locksmiths here?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Because all the cars use electronic locks, why not find out which wire(s) energize the unlocking system, and put a hidden switch (grill?) to unlock the car. All you need is a wiring schematic

Rich

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any 2015 manuals.

You stated that you locked your keys in the car. In those instances the alarm will go off but you can turn it off with the key. Since that's only once or twice a year, it's not too much hassle.

I grind down my spare key so that it is just thick enough to work. No chip. It fits in my wallet and opens the door and trunk. A spare key that has the chip is in the trunk in a foil pouch. It opens the door and turns the ignition.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

forget about it's extra bulk - just use it as a hide a key and stick it under the back end somewhere in the bumper channel or something (use a magnetic hide a key box)

Comment

If you happen to have a trailer hitch (receiver part) without the hitch installed, I've found it makes a handy place for those magnetic boxes that Boomer was talking about. The car usually comes with a rubber cover for the receiver. All is good. Otherwise, I have discovered that those magnetic boxes have a tendency to move around while traveling. Where you put it to begin with may not be where it is now.

By the by.....don't forget the box is in the receiver lest you slam the hitch in and crush the box and the key inside.
          Wayne

Comment

Why bother to lock it? Nobody steals Subarus

Comment

Elf
              I lock my Yugo

One day I got so discussed with it I took it to down town Atlanta and put the keys under the wipers
              Came back next day and there were two more sets of keys under the wipers.
              George from Conyers Ga.
              Remember
              The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                forget about it's extra bulk - just use it as a hide a key and stick it under the back end somewhere in the bumper channel or something (use a magnetic hide a key box)
                Good luck with that. The bumpers on newer cars are covered with plastic cladding that reduces the magnets grip.

Can you even lock the keys in the car? Our G6 wouldn't let you and our Prius won't let you. The Prius doesn't even use a key- the fob is a transponder that stays in your pocket.

Comment

With many modern vehicles, it's impossible to lock the car if there is a set of keys inside.
                  Paul Compton
                  www.morini-mania.co.uk
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I have taken to carrying a spare house key - no ring - in my pocket along with my pocket knife and nitro... Don't leave home without it.

Seems that you could fashion some sort of lockbox that uses a traditional flat key, and lock the spare car key in that. Perhaps the box attached to the hitch receiver, if the car is so equipped.

As mentioned, the magnetic boxes move around - scratching the paint and giving a path for rust.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Be very careful about attempting to fool the car into unlocking without a valid chip key.
                      If it decides it's been stolen it might shut down and require dealer intervention or even a computer replacement.
                      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

True story, years ago a female empoyee was buying a minivan & went to a dealer & took one for a test drive & brought it back yo work to show everyone & locked the keys in it running, had to call the dealer 20+ miles away. They funny part was she did it again the next week too.
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by atty View Post
                          If you happen to have a trailer hitch (receiver part) without the hitch installed, I've found it makes a handy place for those magnetic boxes that Boomer was talking about. The car usually comes with a rubber cover for the receiver. All is good. Otherwise, I have discovered that those magnetic boxes have a tendency to move around while traveling. Where you put it to begin with may not be where it is now.

By the by.....don't forget the box is in the receiver lest you slam the hitch in and crush the box and the key inside.
                          Right you are and I almost wrote it in my reply, I put a little dab of silicone on the base to keep it fixed in place, the magnets hold it there for the most part and the silicone makes sure it does not wander/vibrate,,, then if and when you go to use it - it just detaches without too much of a fight,,, I also put a little dab of silicone on the key head inside the box so the dang thing don't rattle and wear itself out - have to keep in mind that if it's anywhere near the rear of the car it will get dirt inside the box too...

I get a really small amount on the sliding lid to to make sure it never opens after 50 k miles or something..

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                            Good luck with that. The bumpers on newer cars are covered with plastic cladding that reduces the magnets grip.
                            It's just an example, there's usually a place on any car iv ran across, may not be a bumper channel, could be just parts of the uni-body or something that will hold and is hidden, the silicone trick is a good one and can even be used with no magnetic surface if the box can rest on top - even on plastic or whatever... good enough to hold but it's a sealant not an adhesive and will come off with some coaxing...

Comment

I have my wife who doesn't drive carry a spare set of keys in her purse.
                              She is almost always with me.
                              Bill
                              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Working...
                              X