Indicator repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator repair

Over the years I have aquired some DTI's and other indicators which need various repairs , like new crystals or a linkage ,etc .
    Most were included in tool purchases of used equipment .

I was wondering if anyone outside of the US has used the services of Long Island to have indicators repaired .

I have watched ABOM79's review of how satisfied he was with the ones he had repaired and I am as impressed as he was with the results .

However living outside the US I am a little hesitant with entrusting this type of precision equipment to any Postal services as the seem to be able to damage fragile items .

Michael

I'm in the States, but I have also had excellent service from Long Island. Good packaging may be the answer.

Comment

If it's just the crystals they are not that hard to replace yourself. Just took the crystal out of a Starrett "Last Word" to clean it.
      Do an internet search for the brand you have and you may find how to remove the face/crystal which can be ordered from the manufacture.

Comment

I have had good luck with Long Island too.

Comment

removing the crystals and refitting is not a problem but most also have mechanical repairs that need to be done as well.

Michael

Comment

I will email Long Island , ask what they think and decide from the answer how to go about packing and shipping .
            Thanks .
            Michael

Comment

Ultrasonic cleaning seems to fix all the stiff ones i have, i do tend to cannibalise to make a good one though!
              Crystals are cheap, undo bezel screw pull off bezel, push out the glass, or plastic as most are, pop in a new one, easy kitchen table job when trying to ignore neighbours on the telly!
              Mark

Comment

When you e mail them be sure to ask the prices. I've spoken to them a couple times and each time decided to buy a new DTI rather than have the old ones rebuilt. In both cases they wanted nearly the cost of a new indicator to rebuild the old ones. The last time the rebuilding price was well over the original cost of the old unit and within a few dollars of the next level up new one.

Comment

As long as their quote is less than the indicator replacement cost Iwill get it repaired as then I wont have to buy all of the accessories.

Something I can guarantee would not fit any new one as all manufacturers seem to change accessory sizes from time to time.

I have priced a replacement and by the time it is delivered no change out of $540 for the indicator that includes freight but no insurance .

It is too costly to insure tools for damage in transit , I have three quotes in the vicinity of $1000.00 just to insure it in transit with no refund if no claim.

Michael

Comment

Have always been satisfied with Long Island Indicator. They've even answered my emails on Sunday!

Comment

Below is the place I use. They repair any kind of measuring tool/instrument even digital calipers. About half the price of
                      Long Island.

Instant Gage Repair Company at 9863 N Alpine Rd ...
                      https://www.getfave.com/1091274-inst...repair-company
                      Instant Gage Repair Company. [42.36924 ... (815) 877-2555 9863 N Alpine Rd, Machesney Park, IL 61115. Categories: Hardware, Gauges And Gages.

Jim
                      So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Working...
                      X