Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins

Well I know you all missed me .... Haha

Last time I posted I was trying to keep you all abreast of my shop expansion that has been ongoing it seems for ever. Being that I get stuck working a 7-12s schedule for months at a time it really cuts into my shop time.

Well there is a method to my madness

All the over time allows me to overpay my home loan by $3000 to $4000 a month. It looks like a Mercedes payment now, and by the end of the new stent of 7-12s due to take off in October it will look like a car payment. Plan is to be 100% debt free and the house finished with its final remodel within the next 2 years. Ever thing is being done in "High end" materials and methods that will certainly outlive me. 5/8" Dura-board siding with 30 lb felt, R-13 insulation and 5/8" XXX rock

Then I can do what I want when I want and to what ever I want to.

One of which will be working in my own shop. So accordingly a good portion of my remodeling covers the renovations/improvements I have been making to my shop space.

You all remember me setting my foundation

Then of course came the framing and roof work

It got a little tedious setting up all the electrical and Air lines - I actually had to plan this part out.

I took the extra time and effort to "Box" the lighting. That meant I had to plan for the loss of the reflected light from the ceiling. What I didn't want to plan for was the light reflecting off of my glasses. You guys should really try this. It makes the details so much easier to see. I started with a calculated value of 70 - 80 foot candles and then added Halogen spot lights over the areas where extra detail light is needed.

This will be continued ....
    JoeFin
    Last edited by JoeFin; 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM.

I know some guys will try to say its not worth the loss of the reflected light. First off, reflected light in a working shop is way over rated. A little dust and a few cobwebs and those numbers will diminish by 75%. Additionally at my age and the age of most the members of this forum - our eyes ain't what they used to be. Flooding the space with 100 ft candles of "red shifted" fluorescent light would only force our pupils closed. So the additional light couldn't be used effectively.

By adding the "Yellow/Blue shifted Spectrum" light of the Halogens my pupils can stay open more and the textures are much more vivid. The difference is using the "Rods and Cones" of your retina vs: just the cones.

That being said here is what the new addition looks like

Yep - your eyes don't deceive you - that is a nice bright shinny Epoxy-Shield Floor coating on the cement. Only problem is - it looks so nice I'm going to have to do the other side of the shop to match.

Well anyway - me and the boy started moving in some machines today. I elected to purchase my own 13K lb machine skates from Northern Tool just for this. I got tired of renting those beat up oversized 15Ton skates from the rental company that never even close to worked right. Call it a safety thing if you like. I'm just not a ballsie with mine or my kids fingers any more.

Besides - the 3" neoprene wheels didn't damage the new floor in the slightest

and of course since I went to all that trouble to pipe in iron airlines I thought a better compressor would be in order

of course the air compressor would need it's own residence as to not take up floor space and reduce noise in the shop

And I am so glad I didn't skimp on feeding the new 100 amp subpanel. Power makes a difference and feeding this sucker with #2 copper means I don't get the voltage drop when some thing has to start - "Night and Day" difference

Comment

And this shot here puts the whole thing into perspective as you can see the 2 spaces together

I'll keep you all posted as I finish moving into the new space and building all my new benches and the over-all layout of the shop

Actually I could use some ideas for the layout of the small stuff - so any advice or comments you guys want to make would certainly be welcomed

Comment

Thanks for the nice interesting pics Joe, and i remember your'e old posts concerning this.
        One question:
        In the second last pic , what is the odd shaped cut out in the sheeting beside the elec pannel??
        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          In the second last pic , what is the odd shaped cut out in the sheeting beside the elec pannel??
          Thanks again.
          That's called "A near miss" on finding a stud-bay wide enough to fit the 14 1/2" panel in.

When they originally built the house it had 1x4" lath and cedar shake siding - so they really didn't give a crap about the layout of the studs. when I went to side it with 4' wide sheets of Dura-board it really played hell on me. I ended up adding studs that fell on the 4' layout instead of ripping and grooving the siding.

Comment

Hi Joe
            Nice setup. Just a thought, but you might want to add a couple of vents to that compressor shed to prevent heat buildup.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
              Hi Joe
              Nice setup. Just a thought, but you might want to add a couple of vents to that compressor shed to prevent heat buildup.
              I was thinking a Top and a Bottom vent on opposing sides as to hopefully take advantage of convection currents. That or I'll get one of those small gable fans with the thermostat setting on it and wire it ahead of the shut off on the compressor

Comment

That or I'll get one of those small gable fans with the thermostat setting on it and wire it ahead of the shut off on the compressor
                Or skip the thermostat and wire the fan in parallel with the compressors motor.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                  Or skip the thermostat and wire the fan in parallel with the compressors motor.
                  Give the compressor a half turn, install grill at right bottom of shed, and another behind the compressor upper left. fan on compressor wheel should create automatic airflow

Comment

What an awesome shop! Well done on the debt free plan too, you'll really appreciate that in the future. My folks built their place over 25 years ago entirely with the proceeds of a business they developed ( I sort of helped with both, as best as a 9 year old can!) And have been sent free ever since. Not sure I'll be able to do that but I can try.

Keep up with the pics, it'll be great to see it all come together.

Comment

I bought one of these from Northern Tool for my hardware and small parts storage

and I'm going to rate this as a "Don't Do It"

First off - the initial price seem right - but when I proceeded to check out they were charging me what seemed like exorbitant shipping on 6 BOXES. OK - I guess I really wanted it because all told it came to close to $550.

Then it arrives here and I store it until today when I can put it together and make use of it. - YEP you guessed it NO HARDWARE

Ok I guess I really really really wanted it because a little voice in my head is already saying "send it back". But I proceed down to my supply house pick up several pounds of 1/4"x20tpi x 1/2" bolts, washers, lock-nuts, and nuts and proceed to put the thing together.

Well it 50% assembled and I can already see this thing will need diagonal supports before I load any weight on it. Too flimsy not designed well, would definitely fall over / collapse without additional support

I rate this product - "Don't do it - you'll be sorry"

Comment

Lag bolt it to the wall studs?

Comment

Great shop! Hope ya have room for future expansion. I like that you have done the work yourself. Reminds me of my dad and his building of this place. Unfortunately, about the time he was able to enjoy the fruits of his labor, his health started it's decline. He didn't get to use his wood shop as much as he should have.
                          Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunc View Post
                            Lag bolt it to the wall studs?
                            Yep - that and bolt 1/4" plywood to the sides with a nice stain on it to act as my diagonal support and the thing should be fine

Comment

That's a fine looking shop! My only suggestion is that workbenches tend to become storage shelves so install lots of shelves instead of large amounts of workbench space.
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X