Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing Post Titles -- YES, You Can!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Editing Post Titles -- YES, You Can!

    It may not be well known, but the title of a thread on this board can be edited after it is posted by the person who started that thread.

    1. Click on "Edit Post" under the first post of the thread.

    2. Click on "Go Advanced" under the edit screen for that post.

    3. You now have both the message and the title available for editing.

    4. Make your corrections and click on "Save Changes".

    As far as I know only the person who started the thread can change the title. But, perhaps George (administrator) can, I don't know.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 06-27-2014, 03:26 AM.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

    Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

  • #2
    Huh, did not know that. Will have to give it a try when not logged in as a admin.

    Yes, I can (the other mods too) change titles in a couple of ways. A double click on the thread icon is all it takes for me.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

    Comment


    • #3
      Didn't work!

      It does work, sort of, it works to change the title on the thread itself but it does not change errors in the post title as it is listed on the forum. I have been seeing the word "Entirely" spelled wrong in the thread title of one of my posts made in 2011 and since that thread has been bumped back to the top recently I was once again reminded of my error. When I saw this post I immediately tried to make the correction and it did indeed correct it as it appears over the thread after it's opened but it still shows the mis-spelling in the forum list.

      Not at all important I suppose, especially for an old thread like that one, but I have done that several times and it would be nice to be able to make the correction.
      Last edited by radkins; 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think there may be some confusion of terms (and I may not have these correct), but the "thread" is the whole set of "posts" or "replies", which are individually posted, and can have a title (or subtitle, perhaps). It may be difficult to change the original title of the thread (originally set when posted by the "OP"), because it includes not only a serial number, but also a truncated description, as can be seen in the URL for this "thread":

        Code:
        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/63721-Editing-Post-Titles-YES-You-Can!
        Also note that individual posts are referred to by additional information in the URL

        Code:
        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/63721-Editing-Post-Titles-YES-You-Can!?p=925308&posted=1#post925308
        And also note that the folder on the server is called "threads". Each individual element may be referred to as a "post", although subsequent ones may also be called "replies".

        So changing the thread title involves renaming a folder, and if anyone has posted a link to that thread elsewhere, it will be broken (unless an alias or "shortcut" is set up to redirect). The individual post titles are just part of each element in the database, and can more easily be changed by the author.
        Last edited by PStechPaul; 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: individual post URL
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

        Comment


        • #5
          I was at another forum and posted a thread with a title asking the folks how they wore their hair. After a few hours and scores of replies (shaved, short, high and tight, long and flowing, tied in the back etc) I changed the title to ask about their private parts.

          Some people were NOT amused. I, on the other hand, was LMFAO.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not funny, Tilaran.

            <edit, much later> I see that the post by Tilaran has been moderated out.

            Billy, on the other hand, wicked but funny.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
              Not funny, Tilaran.
              Yep, not funny. More like hilarious

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Weston was commenting on an image that had some questionable content, and has since been removed. "Yes you can" and "No you can't", which is OK, but...
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post

                  So changing the thread title involves renaming a folder, and if anyone has posted a link to that thread elsewhere, it will be broken (unless an alias or "shortcut" is set up to redirect). The individual post titles are just part of each element in the database, and can more easily be changed by the author.
                  Web servers don't work like that at all. They can, of course, but that is really obsolete thinking. The URL paths no longer have to align to file system paths, and all the posts and replies, everything except structure (style sheets), in fact, are stored in indexed database tables and are compiled in real time from a combination of static files (CSS, JavaScript, etc) and query results from the data bases. They're oblivious of file system structure. There's a caching layer that is often implemented that stores compiled pages for a brief time so that recompilation is not needed. That's as close as you get to file-based posts. It's all virtual. As the Beatles said in Strawberry Fields, nothing is real.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hummm! Well, it seems to work sometimes. I posted this thread with the title "Editing Post Titles - YES, You Can!", with only ONE dash in the middle. It appeared that way. Then I edited the title to "Editing Post Titles -- YES, You Can!", with TWO dashes as a test. That is the way I see it now, both here on the page which shows all the posts AND on the General page where the titles appear.

                    Now I have again edited it in the same way to read "Editing Post Titles -EDIT- YES, You Can!". And that change only appears at the top of the (my) first post. The thread title at the top of this page and on the General page shows the first edit only "Editing Post Titles -- YES, You Can!" with the two dashes.

                    I even turned my computer off and back on again but that is the way it appears now.

                    Perhaps there is a time limit on changes? Or perhaps PStechPaul has the answer?



                    Originally posted by radkins View Post
                    Didn't work!

                    It does work, sort of, it works to change the title on the thread itself but it does not change errors in the post title as it is listed on the forum. I have been seeing the word "Entirely" spelled wrong in the thread title of one of my posts made in 2011 and since that thread has been bumped back to the top recently I was once again reminded of my error. When I saw this post I immediately tried to make the correction and it did indeed correct it as it appears over the thread after it's opened but it still shows the mis-spelling in the forum list.

                    Not at all important I suppose, especially for an old thread like that one, but I have done that several times and it would be nice to be able to make the correction.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

                    Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Now that I think about it, perhaps the page for the thread had not been created yet when I made the first correction. I can't remember if I returned to General before or after making that first, test correction.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

                      Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not nice, but I almost lost my teeth laughing.

                        Perhaps it is better that the titles not be changeable.



                        Originally posted by Billy Hill View Post
                        I was at another forum and posted a thread with a title asking the folks how they wore their hair. After a few hours and scores of replies (shaved, short, high and tight, long and flowing, tied in the back etc) I changed the title to ask about their private parts.

                        Some people were NOT amused. I, on the other hand, was LMFAO.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

                        Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X