The Old Truck Saga Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Old Truck Saga Continues

Well...Spent all week working on the Old 1989 7.5 litre ford, Tuned up oil change. Running great. Its a 4x4 with a 460 (7.5 Litre) in it. You would think ??it would have enough Jam to do a bit of hauling? Well absolutely NOT!!! I have a Fiberglass 9 foot Big Foot Camper on the back and was attempting to Tow a 22 foot Starcraft Aluminum Boat. I was unpleasantly surprised when I could barely hit 70 Kilometers an hour. Also for a 30 mile round trip and back (driving with my foot almost to the floor at times) I used over a half a Tank Of fuel. Amazing piece of crap .Anyhow was just sitting here thinking what to do to get it to work better OR just quit trying to go camping and fishing. Perhaps more enlightened readers would chime in with there towing hauling escapades and which vehicle can cut it? Thanx Mike

Buy a 12 valve Cummins in a Dodge wrapper. I have a sng wheel 4x4 pickup I've haul 6500# in & towed 20,000# & beat 20 mpg with the OD off. Empty it gets 24 mpg. Also have a 12' flatbed dually but only get 18-20, it's geared too low with 410s & the headboard has a lot of drag. Been real happy with both.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

70Km? You could barely hit 43 mph?

Sounds like something isn't right with the engine, or the truck/load. Whether it's an engine problem, or something is dragging. Though it seems like mechanical drag would cause a lot of heat somewhere.

How many miles on the engine?

Driving cross country, with a 10K+ lbs trailer, my '90 460 got 8.75-9 or so mpg. And the engine had about 138K miles at the time. That included some mountains. The trans was always the big limiting factor.

Comment

460's of that vintage had the cam installed retarded around 4 degrees to reduce the torque to help keep the automatic tranny alive, but the same spec engine was installed in both autos and sticks to save certification costs. The problem is they end up with lousy mileage and they won't pull the skin of a pudding. Buy a timing chain set with a multiple index sprocket and install it straight up. The power and mileage will both improve. They also had a habit of melting the core in the catalytic converter, and the exhaust back pressure would eventually get so bad they wouldn't run above idle.

Have fun!
        Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

+1 on what Davis said, if it has not already been done, you will be surprised at the difference.
          James

Comment

Something is not right any 460 I've had would easily pull a load like you had with power to spare.
            Had a cube van once 16'or 18' box, towed the race car and trailer approx. 4500lbs
            Plus all the gear and spare parts prob another 3000lbs.
            4-5 people in the truck would easily do 60-70 mph on the highway
            Had enough power to easily pass any vehicle.
            Motor was no spring chicken had a lot of miles on it burned a bit of oil lifters clattering etc..
            Something is not right with your truck restricted exhaust fuel starvation retarded timing etc..

Ed

Comment

Look closer at your distributor - perhaps lazy curve and vacuum diaphragm.
              Good luck,
              Tom

Comment

How long has the truck been sitting not used??
                It sounds like maybe the exhaust might be plugged up, either the catastrophic converter or a chipmunk packed the muffler full of
                nuts.........
                Hook a vacuum gauge up to the engine, start the motor, take note of idle vacuum.
                Rev the engine to 3-4000rpm and hold it steady there for a couple minutes while watching the vacuum reading.
                If the reading starts to fall with no change in rpm you're building pressure in the exhaust, something's plugged.

Comment

I think the folks suggesting the exhaust are on to something. The cat in my truck broke into pieces. The material was a honeycomb, and ithe large chunks would rotate freely so they were aligned, or very obstructive.

Comment

Those old 460 fords were torque monsters, good rule on them is to change timing chain at 70,000 miles. If you lose bottom end torque, but gain top end speed, it's time to change it. Check it otherwise by pulling distributor cap, rotate engine forward till you see the distributor move, then rotate it backwards until the rotor moves again. 1/2 inch movement at the crank sprocket rim is normal, slightly more is 'broken in', anything past that tells you how far the chain is stretched. if it still has the cutout for mechanical fuel pump, you can remove the cover on efi engines, or the fuel pump on carburetor engines and feel the chain. Neither way works if it has tensioners installed

Exhaust and timing issues, as mentioned above are also good to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                      Those old 460 fords were torque monsters, good rule on them is to change timing chain at 70,000 miles.
                      Do you know if those engines are typically free-wheeling in the event of a chain failure?

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                        Buy a 12 valve Cummins in a Dodge wrapper. I have a sng wheel 4x4 pickup I've haul 6500# in & towed 20,000# & beat 20 mpg with the OD off. Empty it gets 24 mpg. Also have a 12' flatbed dually but only get 18-20, it's geared too low with 410s & the headboard has a lot of drag. Been real happy with both.

+1 on this, first mistake is trying to move heavy stuff with an antiquated gas engine, it just don't work out very well,

if your going to haul stuff then haul stuff like a trucker, and that means turbo-diesel... you can see gains of near double the economy of what your using all while "carrying the mail"

There could be exceptions with direct injection turbo gas engines but that's a far cry from what your running, I believe you summed it up quite nicely by saying "amazing piece of crap" and there's really nothing you can do to change that fact, sure you can polish that turd a little - but it will always be a turd...

sell it to some poor slob who for some reason likes them and consider yourself fortunate enough that there are still ignorant people like that who are willing to take it off your hands - and consider yourself enlightened enough not be one of them...

if you cant get rid of it let them crush it and build something useful... it's crap, it needs to be flushed and the sooner the better or it will stink even worse the longer it hangs around...

Comment

AK, one would think you really don't like those old 460 Fords---------
                          Are you going to donate the $10k it will cost the OP to upgrade?
                          Bill
                          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

It's one thing to keep an old beater around that you use locally a few times a year to haul stuff with, it is still a truck and that can come in handy, but he want's to go places and get away for a bit, if you shop around you can find a good older dodge/cummins for 5 grand and it will move stuff and do it efficiently, how much is he going to drop in his 460 engine so it is actually capable enough to get out of it's own way?

and still what will the operating cost be of fueling the pig?

so what do you end up with when it's all over? an inefficient turd that you pumped good money into and that will cost double the amount of money to use, cost factor is really not all that different but what you end up with is...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                              It's one thing to keep an old beater around that you use locally a few times a year to haul stuff with, it is still a truck and that can come in handy, but he want's to go places and get away for a bit, if you shop around you can find a good older dodge/cummins for 5 grand and it will move stuff and do it efficiently, how much is he going to drop in his 460 engine so it is actually capable enough to get out of it's own way?

and still what will the operating cost be of fueling the pig?

so what do you end up with when it's all over? an inefficient turd that you pumped good money into and that will cost double the amount of money to use, cost factor is really not all that different but what you end up with is...

Good grief,
                              He's trying to haul a glorified tent and a tin boat a few miles to relax for the weekend, not trying to be a part time freight hauling tycoon.
                              A 300-6cylinder is fully capable of doing what he wants, and a properly running 460 will pull a mountain while being WAY more efficient $$$ wise than doing a full replacement with a
                              different truck.

Every try to repair today's diesels?? There a lot of them out there going cheap because of ongoing problems that will cost more to repair than the the vehicle is worth.

Fix the 460 and go..........

Comment

Working...
                              X