Roll pin vs key way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll pin vs key way

Hello folks, I need opinions on what would work for me. I'm welding up a damaged 1/4 key way on my zero turn mower's axle, and having someone do pass with a lathe on it when I'm done, 1 inch dia. axle . I don't think this guy is comfortable putting a new key way in the axle, so I'm wondering if maybe one or two 3/16 roll pins thru the center of the hub/axle would be enough to hold the torque of the mower . I'd rather it be welded, but it would be a major problem if I ever decide to change seals or bearings down the road. Thanks for any input.

There's probably a pretty good reason it was keyed as designed. Find a way or somebody that can machine a keyway and do a proper job of it. It would help if you would post your location, maybe someone near can help.Bob.

Comment

Roll pins are horrible for shear. There are solid pins that at better and rated, but I'd stay with a keyway.

Comment

Another trick is to fill the roll pin with another smaller pin or a piece of steel adding to strength.
        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Is the keyway that mates with the axle still good? If not it should be filled and recut as well. Or just make another keyway 180 degrees away.

Comment

Are you planning to weld up the existing keyway? if welding on one side only you may find distortion a problem, and is the shaft heat treated as the heat of welding may affect it also.

I second Bruce Griffing's solution better than welding IMHO.

_Paul_

Comment

Working...
            X