Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi-OT: Does anybody have a source for dogwood lumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-OT: Does anybody have a source for dogwood lumber?

I'm looking for a piece of clear dogwood lumber large enough to make a guitar fingerboard. (Approx. 5/16" x 2-3/4" x 18" minimum.) I'll take an unsawn log that I could get the piece out of. If anybody has something, please send me a PM.

I've scoured the Internet, and while I found a couple of places that occasionally have had dogwood lumber, nobody seems to have any now.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Steve, the only dogwood (cut) I've ever seen was curbside from ornamental trimmings. I have a few small chunks I picked up when the opportunity was presented, but I'm pretty sure they're all less than 18" long.

What specific attribute are you needing, the hardness/durability?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

You might give these folks a try. They are local to me, but usually have a wide selection of hardwoods. I can never get out of the store in under an hour. If they don't have it, they may be able to source for you. Contact them by phone or e-mail as their stock varies widely and might not be listed on-line.

http://www.kencraftcompany.com/
      Jim H.

Comment

Just use cedar, nobody will know the difference...

Comment

Not know the difference between dogwood and cedar????
          One is rock hard and white, the other is soft brown and grainy. Maple would be a better substitute

Comment

knew I was going to catch hell for that one but just couldn't stop myself...

what wood is so dense that it will not float? (besides petrified and water logged)

Comment

what wood is so dense that it will not float?
              Natalie?

Comment

that's just plain cruel...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  what wood is so dense that it will not float? (besides petrified and water logged)
                  Lignum Vitae will sink in water, though I wouldn't say it is particularly hard. Mesquite and Brazilian Cherry are both quite hard.

Woodcraft has some very hard woods.
                  My cup 'o plasma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vMfmhM9fg No dialog, just ten minutes of dancing plasma and music. Turn on, tune in, space out.

Comment

WOW beautiful stuff,,,

http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/scans/lignum.jpg

Comment

[QUOTE]
                      Originally posted by A.K. Boomer...

what wood is so dense that it will not float? (besides petrified and water logged)[/QUOTE
                      Wow good question, so this is the result of a real quick look.

http://blog.mischel.com/2012/10/21/woods-that-sink/

By my count, there are 183 species with samples that have specific gravity greater than 1.0. If you count those that have a specific gravity equal to 1.0, there are 209.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

incredible, probably not the best choice to build a sailboat with, or at least would increase the pucker factor when your way the hell out in the middle of the ocean and hear those infamous words "she's taking on water"

Then there's the humiliation factor in the Obit's when the write up states that you built your boat out of "leadwood"
                        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 07-02-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Dogwood ! What does that look like ? I have never heard of it before sorry, does it have an english equivelent name? Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

it can look a little like cedar that's why I said that - some light and very dark sections lengthwise and also some reddish --- but I think that's where the similarities end...

Comment

Tried to post some pictures, Alistair, but couldn't get it to work... Dogwood is common in the US. It's planted as a decorative tree as are flowering cheries. I have 3 on my property in TN. They flower early in the spring.

Chuck
                              Last edited by chucketn; 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X