X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof your house!!!

Can you see any flaws in this scheme?

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/chri...ooding-6024347

In a New Zealand first, Christchurch City Council is deliberately flooding a home to test new waterproofing technology.

If it's successful it could be rolled out as a protection option for homes in flood-prone areas like Flockton basin.

A council home was sprayed with a special waterproof coating and tomorrow it'll be flooded to find out just how waterproof it is.

(Christchurch was devastated by an earthquake about 3 years ago and thousands of houses were destroyed or rendered uninhabitable by liquefaction and other land problems. This flood protection scheme is one of the ideas being tried to ease the plight of houses that are in areas now prone to flooding due to changes in land and water table levels.)

Houses will float off their footings

Comment

They will if water gets underneath them, which I expect it will, but they did mention sump pumps.

Comment

I would guess that condensation would turn the house into a mould growing facility over time, many houses over here have suffered that due to lack of ventilation of the wall spaces, damp intirior walls covered in black mould.
        Mark

Comment

.....deleted by me...........
          Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Wall & ceilings need to breath or mould & rot occur like when they wrapped houses in plastic here in the '70s.l
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Every few years my insurance company calls to tell me that I don't have flood coverage on my home owners policy. My response is always "That's because I don't need it because I'm not so stupid that I would own a house that could get flooded".

Steve

Comment

What about back-flow through the drains/sewer? Or don't they have indoor Johns there? I mean, I have seen just a foot or two of head lift cast iron manhole covers when the flood water reaches the storm drains and it flows backwards.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                  Can you see any flaws in this scheme?

Yes, Cancer ? and for 20K You could build a retaining wall around the entire place and keep it totally dry... and have 10K left to go out to dinner...

Comment

Originally posted by awemawson View Post
                    Houses will float off their footings

Yep. Better to let the basement flood. If your getting enogh ground water to float a foundation I doubt you can dig a sump big enough.

Comment

Waterproofed basements have (or should have) extended footings to the exterior to hold them down against flotation . Nothing wrong with what is proposed here.
                      "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Not many (if any) "basements" in Christchurch's low lying areas Usually slab-on-grad or rim foundation with piles if older.

Comment

Just build a barge on your land and a house on top of it. No more flood problems as long as you put out anchors.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

For 20K you could jack the house up and put a concrete foundation under it. That spray is a joke. The clapboards will flex from the water pressure and the seams will open. Even if you could get it to work when the coating is fresh, how do you check the integrity as the seasons go by and the wood shrinks and expands with the seasons.

Comment

I visited a friend who was living in a trailer house. He had wrapped it in plastic against the winter. I mean the whole trailer! When I got there several people were visiting and no one had a working lighter. One guy close to the door was attempting to light a cigarette when the door opened and the lighter fired up like a blow torch. I laughed and told the guy to open an oxygen hole in the plastic. They could have suffocated without realizing it.
                              Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Working...
                              X