Alternate exhaust valve lifting mechanisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrSleepy View Post
    I know that Brian willnot be interested in using the idea , but Keonisegg have an electro-mechanical valve SAAB running.
    http://www.saabsunited.com/2013/02/k...echnology.html

Rob
    As just an aside to the thread:
    I wonder WHY the idiots that make videos like the above one HAVE to put so much "background" music in to make it almost impossible to understand what the narrator is saying?? Especially when the narrator has an "accent" . :-) I couldn't understand more than about half of what he was saying.
    ...lew..

Comment

You could always go with the valve actuation originally envisioned by Forrest Tucker for his Tucker automobile. It did reach the testing stages. It consisted of a hydraulic actuator to depress each valve, when needed, to be driven by a pump/distributor running off of the crankshaft. It used engine oil as a working fluid, but during the prototype testing, air bubbles in the oil caused a loss of valve control, and eventually they abandoned the design.

I have a rare rotary valve engine. It's an English made Condor .91 four-stroke model airplane engine. I've had it apart, and it shows minimal wear after all of these years.
      The rotary valve is driven by a timing belt. Fairly easy to duplicate, reliable, and simple with a low parts count.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

That Bishop Rotary Valve looked intetesting. Plus it also demonstrates that even F1 is not inmune to the "ban the technology" type of thinking.
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
          PeterS--That is very interesting, and I haven't seen that before. Unfortunately, I only have a manual lathe and mill, so have no way of putting in a cam track like that.--Brian
          They somehow did it in 1885 without CNC.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
            They somehow did it in 1885 without CNC.
            And the "somehow" almost certainly involved a template, which would not be that difficult to deal with. if all 'external" as would be best, it's at worst, a somewhat tedious filing job.... file to the line.....

The pen retraction mechanism was my first thought, even though it has *some issues* in machining.... At least it does if taken in the exact same form as the pen, which would not be required.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

As a guideline if you are making such a video, the background audio should be at least 6 to 9 db below the level of the speaker, 12 db would be better. This should be easy to achieve with modern digital editing tools. Of course, the music heads will not accept this.

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
              As just an aside to the thread:
              I wonder WHY the idiots that make videos like the above one HAVE to put so much "background" music in to make it almost impossible to understand what the narrator is saying?? Especially when the narrator has an "accent" . :-) I couldn't understand more than about half of what he was saying.
              ...lew..
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
              X