MY-TE winch/hoist anyone have one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY-TE winch/hoist anyone have one

I found one of these at the pawn shop for 250.00 its the one that runs off battery 12V. has nice thick cable installed already. Does anyone have any experience with one of these"?? there made here in Indianapolis in. seem to be very expensive new as well. this is the one, http://myte.com/web/wp-content/uploa...0/03/10-12.pdf I don't have anything yet to do any heavy lifting and im getting into heavy stuff now. would I be able to adapt this to a gantry? would something like this serve a good purpose in a shop?

Search eBay for "electric hoist". There is quite a range of plug-in (240v) variants in 125/250kg form for $80 ... thru to 400/800kg models for $180.

For the upmarket user who must have it all there is also the powered "girder trolley" variant.

Good feature of them is they have nice low profile of around 150mm total.

I have been looking at them for a bit now. Figure I can put a swiveling pole just off-center of shed (anchored to both roof and floor) and get to bench, lathe, mill and elsewhere with one swing.

The models I have been looking at have a stated line speed of 10m per minute. I guess this will slow down with load. A concern I do have is that this maybe too fast for tidy (joggle) positioning of likes of lathe chuck to spindle.

I take it that such kit may not be industrial strength for "all day every day" use ... but who knows. I would be interested in user experiences.

Cheers,
    Norman

Comment

that's really what im trying to find out. I know its probably a good one, made here in usa, and new its over 2,000. I assume that it would be a good hoist!

Comment

I have 2 Dayton 4000# 120V cable hoist that work well. 5/16" cable I think. Also a bunch of CM 2 ton 3phase chain hoist, they are beast that will last forever.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Look at the design, it's meant to be mounted to a vehicle winch bumper or trailer frame. For use on a jib or gantry, the winch would end up being mounted upside-down. Not a problem for the drum or motor, but the oil filled gearbox might not like it.

Comment

Why not get an AC unit on a trolley for a gantry or lifting inside a building, 3 phase units are dirt cheap, $50 for the CM 2 ton I just bought with the chain basket & trolley. If you use this on a vehicle I put mine on a reese type hitch mount, store it in a steel box with quick connects & also put a front reese type hitch in the front with quick connects. You can put a reciever in the front of the box or flatbed to pull things on. Remember the pull is highly reduced with a full drum of cable. Add a snatch block to double the pull, half the speed. Use heavy cable & anderson type quick connects like on a elect forklift. Having a 2nd battery like in a diesel and/or a HD alt helps. Air powered ones work well also if you have a good amount of air. Good luck!
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I bought an ARO 1/2 ton pneumatic hoist at auction two years ago or so now for ~$5. It was made in Chicago, owned and supported by Ingersoll Rand. I'd highly suggest hitting a few auctions, the pawn prices in this area are way too high and auction prices way too low not to.

JMHO, but if youre after a shop hoist/crane I'd highly suggest searching the scrapyards or auctions for a used industrial crane. They often sell for not much over scrap price with the hoist and wont cause issues with your insurance company or building inspector, nor will your heirs have to do a ton of work to remove it (been there, done that) to sell your property.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

ok, I went to an auction in Pittsboro sunday, they sold a cm chain hoist for 25.00 I missed out on that, I need one, anyways, yeah im going to wait and go to a few more auctions first. thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by keth524 View Post
                  ok, I went to an auction in Pittsboro sunday, they sold a cm chain hoist for 25.00 I missed out on that, I need one, anyways, yeah im going to wait and go to a few more auctions first. thanks for all the help!
                  How often will you be using the gantry and hoist? Maybe a chainfall is the answer.

Comment

well I am going to say, once I get my shop setup the way I want, probably wont be used a lot. I suppose I need to rethink this, im glad I didn't make that impulse buy and get that winch! thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X