Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QC tool post recommendations

Hello guys,

I am looking to purchase a quick change tool post for my SBL 10L. I see there are many different types and manufactures. Does anyone have suggestions? What is the quality of the imports?

Thanks

Ken

I have had an import piston type for three years now. It has held up well, and I am pleased with it.

The price for an AXA equivalent set is less than $150 on sale. I do not like to promote imports, but in this case, and for the HSM, it is difficult to justify the cost of Aloris etc.

The wedge type are more repeatable, and more expensive.
    Jim H.

Comment

I bought a piston type from Travers Tool a couple years back for my 13 x 40 costing around $100 on sale.
      It works great.
      mite

Comment

One does wonder how much exact repeatability matters in a home shop, anyway. I expect the piston type would be plenty good enough.

One guy I know really likes the Fims design -- says the height adjustment is more positive. Personally, I'm still slogging on with the "lantern" type, so I can't offer any personal experience.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I got a wedge type import set from a local machine tool supplier for a 13" lathe.
          I can never remember the 'A'/'B' designations, but paid $179 for the set (1 cutoff, 1 knurling, 1" boring bar, w/.750" adapter sleeve, and 2 tool bit holders.). I had to modify the T-slot nut to fit my compound slide, but I've been totally pleased with it. It has seemed as good as the Aloris or Dorian I used in some shop classes I took.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I just now saw one on Ebay for 13-18" late for$159 ("buy it now"). Auction expires in about an hour tho.
            Don't construe this as a recommendation, but below is the blurb from seller, since there's currently no bids. Can't tell from pic if it's piston or wedge:

1 SET QUICK CHANGE TOOL POST FITS LATHE FROM 13" TO 18" NEW IN BOX 1 TOOL POST 5 HOLDERS. 300 SERIES JTS MACHINERY 1-800-321-3566--1-440-951-2138.***** THIS IS AN AUCTION PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY.***** IF YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO A SALES PERSON FEEL FREE TO CALL. WE ARE OPEN MONDAY THRU FRIDAY 8:30 TO 5:00 EST.WE WILL CONTACT YOU ON SHIPPING CHARGES WHEN
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I have a Dorian on my big lathe, and my guess is the lathe would crumble underneath that thing before the Dorian gave up. CAn't imagine either thing happening, really. Wish I would have bought one years ago for my little SB 9". Have one on order for my half-a-lathe, a Phase II wedge type, but Enco warned me it would be awhile before it showed up. Dorian Tools has a website, just to get an idea of the possibilities.

Comment

I have on my Heavy 10 (not L) a Phase II wedge AXA type. You can get them on sale at ENCO for about $160 or so, most any time. Its my understanding and it makes since if you look at how they are constructed that the wedge type is more accurate.

I've just ordered two more Type One toolholders. People say you can make them, but when they are $28 apiece, what is your time worth? Very happy, would not be without this type of toolpost. B.G.

Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

ENCO "HotDeals" flyer for May has the PhaseII
                  piston with five tool holders listed at $110,
                  about 20-30 less than usual for piston type' Wedge is $170. It is on the cover of the flyer which is on their website. Quality is good for Chinese sourced tools. Travers TTC is about the same but sold without tool holders and is represented as US sourced. Steve
                  Steve

Comment

Dorian is one of the best available. www.doriantool.com
                    they make great stuff and have monthly sales

Phase II looks like a good option www.phase2plus.com

If you want to roll your own John Stevenson's is a solid unit. (lost the url sorry - only have a hardcopy now)

Dave

Comment

It's on the Metal Web News site http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/to.../toolpost.html

Comment

I have a Phase II on my SBL heavy 10 and I love it.
                        Wade

Comment

I have a "KDK" toolpost..you can find it in a DoAll catalog...they are the wedge type, pretty pricey, but very strong...I recommend it..

brent

Comment

Along with the import "AXA - Aloris" type posts, Travers Tool sells a set made in the USA, under their TTC or TAO house brand name. I have the AXA size Travers set, and it was made in the Texas, USA - probably by Dorian (also of Texas) but not branded as such. Very nice wedge type set, a little more expensive than the imports, but quality is excellent.

Comment

I use an Aloris post type on my Clausing 13 x 36. I bought it use many years ago for a 10 inch Delta Rockwell that is now retired. It is an AXA and it needed a riser block to use on the Clausing but is fine.

Paul G.
                              Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                              X