Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lapping machine question re new cutting edge being fitted ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lapping machine question re new cutting edge being fitted ?

Hi I have a free standing lapping machine which to all extent and purpose looks like a six inch disc sander,exept that the front disc has an edge around it's perimiter like a large cup wheel This edge faces forward and is only about a half an inch wide.It looks to me like it's down to the bronze to me and feels quite smooth.I tried for ages to get the edge of this re coated with a diamond coat without success .However a few weeks back there was a good article here for full diamond one sided coated discs in eight inch and six inch.See below I bought from the top of my head an eight inch disc but when it arrived I found I really only needed a six inch disc it looks like an old fashioned forty five rpm record or a larger dvd disc. My question is I already drilled on the lathe the centre hole on this thin aluminium disc larger to fit the said lapping machine and simply fitted it full sizeonto the lapping machine and it is held on by the cup type plate brass nut.Should I first question reduce it further to make a flat circular ring which would fit glued onto the cup edge only rather than at present all the way to the centre hole.
    which I could simply glue over the worn part of the lapping plate that is there this could be done neatly and llook as good as new.Or leave the full disc in and have the full disk available for sharpening lapping.I bought Question two an eighty grit disc which is quite rough they are not expensive and I think while I can get them I should maybe buy a few more different grades of grit sizes they go all the way up to around 3200 what selection would you buy if any? I would like the advice of my friends here please let me know?

The articles in question Alistair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1213718314...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I have several of the disks and am planning to use the super strong magnets set into a disk to allow quick changes of disks. I have been using the disks to polish faces on carbide blocks. They seem to do well.

Comment

Hi could anyone tell m,e the most popular grits diamond grades for this and the best way to fit them as original postPlease help if you can.As said I currently bought an eighty grit only but it might be too rough for some work and I would like a small selection? Alistair

Comment

Anyone else with two cents worth to offer ? I need to know what the most popular grits would be?plus the other questions I asked if you could help? Alistair

Comment

Working...
        X