Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busted scerw extraction may be handled......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted scerw extraction may be handled......

Went a bit farther afield for tag sales, and found a few goodies that I can use, including this..... smallest size, for 1/4-20, is missing, but I should be able to get one someplace..... 20 bucks the lot, in the die-cast metal box...(snazzy, probably collectible, as if I care).

I understand these are the best available for the purpose, so the problem may be handled.... at least for these sizes.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I would have thought the drills should be left-handed, or is it only the flutes that are RH?

Looks like a splined shaft that is pressed into the hole to get a grip for extraction?

Seems like a nice set, well worth the $20.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Still available from Snap on,$120/set and individuals forsale also.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=675450

They do work good,they also make the second best pipe extractors.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
        I would have thought the drills should be left-handed, or is it only the flutes that are RH?
        The drill is kind of beside the point. It just makes a hole for the splined rod to be pounded into, and then the nut-like devices on the left turn the splined shaft. So the handedness is no issue. I suppose LH they might extract the screw all by themselves. I could get LH drills for it if I wanted, the drills are standard sizes.

The things at bottom are drill guides to make sure you go down central and not out into the threads.

next time I have a busted screw, I'll give it a shot, and report back....

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post

Looks like a splined shaft that is pressed into the hole to get a grip for extraction?

Seems like a nice set, well worth the $20.
          Yuup! You need to drill a left handed hole for the screw extractor to work.

Comment

I have had that same exact set for at least 50 years and it has removed a lot of screws. If you can drill completely thru the stuck screw it rarely fails. Of course, the usual aids like penetrating oil, heat, and vibration still help. I don't know who actually makes them but I have seen the same set with the Ridgid name on them. The two smaller ones tend to get damaged so keeping spares is a good idea.
            Last edited by Don Young; 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM.
            Don Young

Comment

I've got the same set, cast metal box and all, except mine says Ridgid.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Still available from Snap on,$120/set and individuals forsale also.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=675450

They do work good,they also make the second best pipe extractors.
                You state the second best extractor. In your opinion whats the best extractor

Comment

The splined removers say Ridgid, so that would be Ridge Tools, div Emerson (or maybe Emerson sold them)

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                  X