T~Nuts done better (DeVlieg's way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T~Nuts done better (DeVlieg's way)

I've noticed some of you put great pains into your hobby shops.
    If you've scored a nice milling machine with T-slots still in good shape,
    Take a lesson from DeVlieg, an inovator in many way's building machine-Tools.

Your T-slots are meant to be multi-purpose features on you machine.
    Many accessories can be made to aid in set-up, and referencing clamped work.
    DeVlieg understood that damade in the slots bulged the slots at the cornes of the T-shape.
    So he made his own T~Nuts! the clamping force is moved off the corners.

T-nuts and T-bolts take the brunt of "oops's" that will happen eventually!
    They share the strain of said oop's with the T-slots.

Modify all your T-nuts and T-bolts to be DeVlieg worthy.
    Now if you decide to make slot~Blocks & kickers, or crowding plates or fences.
    You won't have mangled slots impeed~ing the insertion of these accessories.

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
    Many accessories can be made to aid in set-up, and referencing clamped work.
    Now if you decide to make slot~Blocks & kickers, or crowding plates or fences.
    You won't have mangled slots impeed~ing the insertion of these accessories.
    Only a person who has read some of the older machining tomes will know what those items are and how useful they can be. Not just on a mill, but planer and shaper too. I've heard them referred to as furniture. They are one of the first things to be dumped in the scrap hopper when an old machine is retired to a back corner, to sit idle and wait for the day the scrapman comes.

Comment

Ah Furniture. Bingo and Damnit!
      I couldn't remember that term to save myself!!!

Here's my latest version of slot-blocks. Fit's Mitzy's metric T-slots in thickness,
      and DeVlieg modulars in pattern, can be used as mounting feet.
      Can be used to crowd and kick. First set I've seen that's right and left.
      I've cursed up a storm when I can mount two on one side of a part
      and the mirror side won't fit-up due to an obstruction or clearence problem.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Old Hat; 08-02-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

So is the innovation there the relief milled between the horizontal and vertical?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
          So is the innovation there the relief milled between the horizontal and vertical?
          Yes! Best case is virgin T-Nuts and Table.
          Tables that all~ready have damage need carefull filing on Bar tables or Vertical boring mill tables...
          or cutting on vertical mills.

Ape-ish and agrresive dressing of T-slots is pointless if one expands the slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
            Only a person who has read some of the older machining tomes will know what those items are and how useful they can be. Not just on a mill, but planer and shaper too. I've heard them referred to as furniture. They are one of the first things to be dumped in the scrap hopper when an old machine is retired to a back corner, to sit idle and wait for the day the scrapman comes.
            Man I could cry me a river, now that I'm picture-ing a sweet 4" G&L back at A.O. Smith.
            It faced south and the tracks for the transfer ran right in front of it going thru the wall
            to the next bay.

She had the smaller auxillury spindle above. Sattiny work wooden cabinettes and shelving to the side
            of the opperator's area. She lacked nothing! I didn't know how blessed I was to spend time there
            in that spot that would fade into history.

There were soft blocks in increments all in order in one cabinette.
            There were Hard blocks in increments all in order in another cabinette.
            Then open wooden shelving all custom made by some grand Shop's Carpenter..
            probably before I was even out of grade-school.

Two more open shelving units with 3X3 ash or white Oak risers for your your straps.
            They were in every two inch lenght increments up two around two feet,
            4X3 risers beyond two feet maby to around 40" in 4" increments.

One rack of studs with one end rounded for hitting with a drilling hammer
            when the odd miscient interfered with threading into T-nuts.
            The other end deeply stamped with the length of the studs.
            I'm talking REAL TABLE-STUDS HERE, not the vulgar substiture called "ready-rod".
            The worst of which is zink plated and cakes up with dried coolant and hardened
            cutting oil holding a well varied variaty of chips and needles in the threads.

and wondefull wonderfull hand bent open ended straps made by a Shop's Blacksmith.....
            again many of these may have been bent before I was formed.

I later requested the flame-cut facsimilly when I worked in a shop
            that had a large cnc cutting table and a Master of a Man who ran it.

Truely I have experienced osasiss'es from Heaven in my adventures.
            I wish images could be digitally extracted from my memory and shared.
            So much of this all vanished now, city-blocks grown over with weeds
            where once a Pinnackel of industriousness flourished.

Even worce (Weep~ing sorftly), A Megga Walmart occupies another
            once Grand location.
            Last edited by Old Hat; 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Nice old hat .Please could you explain what they did then for bending these pieces in more detail, as I would love to know? Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                Nice old hat .Please could you explain what they did then for bending these pieces in more detail, as I would love to know? Alistair
                Looks like they are - nicely - flamecut to shape, or the sorts.

Send more "pron" old hat!

Regards,

Danny
                ---------------------------
                Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
                wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
                Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
                so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
                -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                  You need a very big rose-bud for an O/A rig, or a modest coal or charcoal forge.

One 3 foot length of 1" X 3" hot-rolled bar. ***

Upset the center a little for about 5-6".

Reheat.

Have your table-stud in the vise with a 16 gage U-shaped strip around it waiting.

pull the bar from the 'heat', and pull around the strip-wrapped stud.

A helper to bump in the bend a little if needed.

Lastly take to anvil with remaining heat and level the bend
                  to the upper and lower plains of the 3" dimention.

*** If you have the muscel and the forge use 1056.
                  Bring the whole finished strap to heat and quench.
                  Look-out! That's a big heat!
                  Temper; and even a gorilla can't deform it with poor practice in set-up.
                  Last edited by Old Hat; 08-02-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Ah Furniture. Bingo and Damnit!
                    I couldn't remember that term to save myself!!!

Here's my latest version of slot-blocks. Fit's Mitzy's metric T-slots in thickness,
                    and DeVlieg modulars in pattern, can be used as mounting feet.
                    Can be used to crowd and kick. First set I've seen that's right and left.
                    I've cursed up a storm when I can mount two on one side of a part
                    and the mirror side won't fit-up due to an obstruction or clearence problem.
                    Some furniture can be seen here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=56 starting around page 40.

Comment

WoW that's grand!
                      Thank You!

So very much can still be learned from material like you posted.

I asked to be allowed to add the holes to a 300" table on a Bridge Mill,
                      and extraction openings stagered midpoint in the T-slots.
                      May as well have been talking to a tree-stump.
                      I'll bet today they still have full-length T-slots and no holes.
                      Sad.

Comment

Looks like I have been making furniture all along and never knew it. Add "furniture maker" to the ole resume.

OK, so I don't know what a "4" G&L" is and I don't know what those "open ended straps" are used for. Are the straps used on the G&L? How are they used and why so many of them? Do they fit in some large Tee slots?

I searched for "G&L" and came up with guitars, chili dogs, and a motion control company, among other things. Perhaps the motion control folks made machine tools in the past? Or is it even a machine tool?

Man I could cry me a river, now that I'm picture-ing a sweet 4" G&L back at A.O. Smith.
                        It faced south and the tracks for the transfer ran right in front of it going thru the wall
                        to the next bay.

She had the smaller auxillury spindle above. Sattiny work wooden cabinettes and shelving to the side
                        of the opperator's area. She lacked nothing! I didn't know how blessed I was to spend time there
                        in that spot that would fade into history.

There were soft blocks in increments all in order in one cabinette.
                        There were Hard blocks in increments all in order in another cabinette.
                        Then open wooden shelving all custom made by some grand Shop's Carpenter..
                        probably before I was even out of grade-school.

Two more open shelving units with 3X3 ash or white Oak risers for your your straps.
                        They were in every two inch lenght increments up two around two feet,
                        4X3 risers beyond two feet maby to around 40" in 4" increments.

One rack of studs with one end rounded for hitting with a drilling hammer
                        when the odd miscient interfered with threading into T-nuts.
                        The other end deeply stamped with the length of the studs.
                        I'm talking REAL TABLE-STUDS HERE, not the vulgar substiture called "ready-rod".
                        The worst of which is zink plated and cakes up with dried coolant and hardened
                        cutting oil holding a well varied variaty of chips and needles in the threads.

and wondefull wonderfull hand bent open ended straps made by a Shop's Blacksmith.....
                        again many of these may have been bent before I was formed.

I later requested the flame-cut facsimilly when I worked in a shop
                        that had a large cnc cutting table and a Master of a Man who ran it.

Truely I have experienced osasiss'es from Heaven in my adventures.
                        I wish images could be digitally extracted from my memory and shared.
                        So much of this all vanished now, city-blocks grown over with weeds
                        where once a Pinnackel of industriousness flourished.

Even worce (Weep~ing sorftly), A Megga Walmart occupies another
                        once Grand location.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                          Some furniture can be seen here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=56 starting around page 40.
                          ! Schwinnng !

Thanks Rosco!

Regards,

Danny
                          ---------------------------
                          Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
                          wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
                          Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
                          so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
                          -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Looks like I have been making furniture all along and never knew it. Add "furniture maker" to the ole resume.

OK, so I don't know what a "4" G&L" is and I don't know what those "open ended straps" are used for. Are the straps used on the G&L? How are they used and why so many of them? Do they fit in some large Tee slots?

I searched for "G&L" and came up with guitars, chili dogs, and a motion control company, among other things. Perhaps the motion control folks made machine tools in the past? Or is it even a machine tool?
                            Hang on a minute !
                            OK here's one, no auxiallary spindle but basic Bar!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIDDINGS-LEW...item19db52b65b

Strap Clamp.

Good Book
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-Tr...item5634281e5f
                            Last edited by Old Hat; 08-02-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

DeVlieg?????????

Whose that. Furniture maker. Tables, sofas ??????
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X