No announcement yet.

Safety Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad part is many schools, colleges don't have any shop programs because of insurance companies. Skilled trades will be a lost art soon.

Comment

The only "safety" sign I remember from my days at Swift & Co. was posted next to the entrance to the machine shop. It said (okay, it didn't say anything) --

No Snotting On The Floor

I didn't know what it meant and was too afraid to ask any of the machinists. I just made sure I didn't do anything to the floor but stand on it.

And no where were there signs saying: Caution, knives are sharp. Caution, steam is hot. Caution, a side of beef is heavy. Caution, this 12 foot diameter flywheel traveling at 200 RPM will hurt you if you are stupid enough top stick your hand in it.
      Last edited by KJ1I; 08-04-2014, 10:18 PM. Reason: sticky keyboard
      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

And no where were there signs saying: Caution, knives are sharp. Caution, steam is hot. Caution, a side of beef is heavy. Caution, this 12 foot diameter flywheel traveling at 200 RPM will hurt you if you are stupid enough top stick your hand in it.
        Nor should there be, because doing so interferes with natural selection, which helps to weed out stupid from societies gene pool. That may sound cold, but
        fostering stupidity is a poor option.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          I once asked a shop owner how many people worked at his place. He said "About half of them"!
          Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, once said that to an interviewer.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I think 'snotting' is a slang term for rags - derived from 'snot rag' or handkerchief though I have an inkling that it is also a woodwork term.
            In my first place of work, in the Gents next to the machine shop was a sign that might be relevant to this forum. "Cutting oil is a scrotal carcinogen". Never seen any other reference to the risk anywhere but have always born it in mind.

Comment

It is crazy all the stuff they have to tell us to not do. But if you think it's crazy in plants and factories, just wait until you start working with "sensitive" information. I worked for a defense contractor for four years, and their regulations and restrictions make all the other stuff look like a cakewalk. I am a physicist by trade, and my favorite safety sign is this one:

Comment

Speaking of dumb safety signs, and the 'safety police' being overly cautious.
                I ask, Why are there Fire Extinguishers at the swimming pool?
                Are they afraid that the CONCRETE POOL filled with WATER, or the CINDER BLOCK changing room will burst into flames?
                I saw this the other day when I took my daughter to the pool.
                I had to laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                  I think 'snotting' is a slang term for rags
                  I actually learned what "snotting" was the last year I worked a Swift's. Since the environment in the packing plant varied from very hot to very cold, and there were lots of different "particulate matters" in the air, lets see, I guess the polite way to describe it would be to say: "the nasal passages frequently filled with mucus".

Snotting was the act of removing said material by blowing air out the nose while simultaneously pinching the nose with the thumb and first finger and downstroking rapidly, adding a hard flick of the wrist at the bottom of the downward stroke.
                  Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                    I think 'snotting' is a slang term for rags - derived from 'snot rag' or handkerchief though I have an inkling that it is also a woodwork term.
                    In my first place of work, in the Gents next to the machine shop was a sign that might be relevant to this forum. "Cutting oil is a scrotal carcinogen". Never seen any other reference to the risk anywhere but have always born it in mind.
                    Maybe it has something to do with how it is used?
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                      ?...
                      I ask, Why are there Fire Extinguishers at the swimming pool?...
                      I had to laugh.
                      (Remote) possibility of spontaneous human combustion - broiling under the sun, basted with suntan oil.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I once asked a shop owner how many people worked at his place. He said "About half of them"!
                        haha. . . funniest thing I've seen all week.

Comment

While working in LV, was informed the World Bank wanted to send a contingent of Chinese engineers for a look/see at our operations. (Read: It was no surprise the Chinese spent their off hours on the Strip) A knowing secretary posted "No Hacking" notices over the sinks in both coffee lockers.

Use your imagination to visualize a clearing of one's air passages with a final spit-tooie into the sink.

KJ1I-------'Snotting was the act of removing said material by blowing air out the nose while simultaneously pinching the nose with the thumb and first finger and downstroking rapidly, adding a hard
                          flick of the wrist at the bottom of the downward stroke.' Reminds me of the description: 'He was snot slingin' drunk.'

--G

Comment

I have magnetic signs on most of my woodworking machines.

"DO NOT USE REMAINING FINGERS AS PUSH STICKS"

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with how it is used?
                              It is linked with dermatitis and cancer in the gents, grinders rot was bad,nasty
                              Mark

Comment

Dribble some red paint on the signs for shock effect for visitors to your shop.

Originally posted by 6270 Productions View Post
                                I have magnetic signs on most of my woodworking machines.

"DO NOT USE REMAINING FINGERS AS PUSH STICKS"

Comment

Working...
                                X