Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
    There was an article by Rudy-----
    Rudy Kouhoupt ... He's done a few videos aswell.

Rob.

Comment

Maybe take a look at the shaper documents on NEMES: http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_faq.html
      Maybe Forrest will happen along with a suggestion. I believe he has a ton of experience in that area. My other suggestion would be to page through the Colvin and Stanley book, Boring and Surfacing Practices book. Has a chapter or two on planers and shapers and their cutting tools.

Comment

I've also heard that slightly odd toolbit geometry referred to as a skiving bit. That might be British terminology.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
          There was an article by Rudy----- in HSM or MW years back, (sorry, cant remember OR pronounce his last name, but he IS/WAS well known.) The article was directed to getting a fine finish with a shaper. Rudy made a modified clapper block in which the tool bit was located such that the edge was as near the vertical line through the clapper pivot as possible. He reasoned that this effectively elliminated any bit chatter or bounce. The results were mirror finishes.
          He reasoned correctly, that's admirable!
          He then used a different approach to get to the same place our ForeFathers started out at.

I went scouting durring every unassigned moment, and lunches while employed at what remains
          of two of Milwaukee's Giants. I oppened every drawer and cabinette that wasn't locked.
          I got pics of some of it, but not all. I moved on before I realised how valueable it would have been
          to photograph all the hand forged tooling for large planers, shapers, and vertical boring mills.

While it was fresh in my memory I made this sketch, and with it discussed this with a Man
          who was there, just in time too. :~(

He said nearly all tooling that went in clapper-boxes was goose-neck for the very reason.....
          mentioned above.
          here is the sketch.[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

More is coming back to me!
            I was assigned to a vertical boring mill with 16 foot table and two rams.

In the only ram that worked, was a giant tool-receiver with a Morse tang too big to guess what number it was.
            It would take tooling up to I think 2" in shank heigth but I can't swaer to it.
            The trouble was the mounting surface in the receiver was at table center.
            They told me it was the wrong receiver and it wont come out, they bought it that way.

Hence any of today's tooling is way above center. I went to the Master about this.
            He went into a tyraid about what ***** ***** etc. etc. they are.

He said that the huge tooling I found would have been shared by a large VBM and a large planer.
            And the receiver was just fine, it was the idiots that were wrong.
            Last edited by Old Hat; 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
              The cutter I used in this video is ground per the Moltrecht finishing tool shown in Artful Bodger's photos. It is taking a very light cut on a block of CRS. You can see the reflection of the cutter in the steel. Two passes previous it had been a scale coat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFFYIvTLiE
              Great accept no image of the biZness end of the bit.
              But thanks!

Comment

Might also contact Stephen Thomas on Practical Machinist. He run both a shaper (not tabletop size) and medium sized planer in support of his restoration woodworking business and could give you first hand information on what geometry works well for the finish you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                  Great accept no image of the biZness end of the bit.
                  But thanks!
                  http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/machinery/whipp

Comment

Ain't Shapers Great!
                    That's a fine album there!

It was a mammoth effort to get the Gemco in place in a home setting.
                    And having done many industrial moves flawlessly,
                    it was quite an embarrassment to loose controll of her
                    half way off the trailer, in front of an audience of many.

Nothing but turf was damaged, but I've blocked out all the details.
                    Too painfull to recount!

ps:
                    You look grand in either pic, hard to please is she?
                    Last edited by Old Hat; 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I wanted to try a few more stabs at it before moving to another grind.
                      Actually be scientific about this. What I noticed today has nothing to do with the grind or the cut.

It has to do with me! My profession requires intencity, and I am always crunched for time.
                      The sound and frequency of the Shaper influences my pace. I'm more calm, yet STILL focussed.
                      More content to stroll around, and put things away, or sweep the floor.
                      THIS IS GREAT!

Comment

Ready to try the high shear bit grind tomorrow.
                        I'll get back about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X