You know what tool I really like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what tool I really like...

Starrett 91-style tap wrench. Every time it comes out it strikes me as a work
    of art and pleasure to use.

They got this one right-on.

You?

She is prettier than my eclipse, too pretty for you
    Mark

Comment

I bought one that looks exactly like that at the 2013 Cabin Fever Expo from a retired machinist. He told me he made it when he was starting out. It had the date 1947 stamped on it and his initials WJS. Every time I use it I get the same feeling.

BTW, my initials are WJS.

Stu

Comment

I most like my Blake CO-AX indicator. I've had a fake Blake for years and loved it, but the real deal is a thing of beauty.

Comment

I guess you could say I'm also a fan of those No.91's. And the little No.174, and the No.93's as well.

Comment

I don't know if I even have a tap wrench in the shop. I always use a ratchet and extension, the extension helps eyeball if the tap is going strait or not. This isn't a good pic to show of the extension in use because the square drive is sloppy on the tap but I wasn't to concerned for this job.

Andy

Comment

I suppose a pic here of a 3/8-16 tap in a Black & Decker hand drill, would be considered obsene , huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                I suppose a pic here of a 3/8-16 tap in a Black & Decker hand drill, would be considered obsene , huh?
                Ya - pretty much

Comment

I'll see if I have one of my best Planer Gage, better?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                    Yes, should be a cordless in this day and age no?

Comment

Teaching media

The pictured Starrett tap wrench should be shown every time someone wants to know what would be a good project for, say, a teaching/learning project. Looks like 90% of a lathes' capability could be utilized, from free handing, threads, tolerancing, surface finish, knurling, tapering, dimensioning, hand filing, work hardening, etc.

Minimal chances at scrap making, something could always be salvaged to work as a tap wrench.

--G

Comment

Pretty Tap Handle, +1

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan View Post
                          I guess you could say I'm also a fan of those No.91's. And the little No.174, and the No.93's as well.

Everything in this pic IS BRAND NEW, right?

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                            Everything in this pic IS BRAND NEW, right?
                            Nope. All bought used, most from the local Craigslist for short money. The biggest one of the No.91's on the left (No.91-D) was in it's original box and looked unused, $25. No boxes for the No.91-C, B and A nor the No.174. The No.91-A is the most used and looked it when I bought it for $10. In the No.93's two came from Craigslist and two from eBay. The Brown & Sharpe combination square set was a gift from a retiring boss of mine at Norton Company, the Lufkin Planer Gauge was gift from a fellow member here that insisted upon giving it to me for making a new compound slide screw & nut for his Atlas shaper.

Because I live not too far from Starrett's headquarters, I find a lot of their tools being sold off as people retire out of there. Many great deals, that's also where I've picked up a Kennedy 295B roll-around for a $100, a Black Diamond No2B drill grinder for $275 and so much more.

Comment

Then they are in beautiful condition. Impossible where i live unfortunately - high humidity means anything i touch needs an oily rag on it when i'm finished. If i forget = rust! Every bit of tooling i make, if it is bare steel, is hot oil blackened, purely to inhibit aforesaid rust.
                              Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X