Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may have just inherited 6.5 million Euros.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may have just inherited 6.5 million Euros.

This one is different. Instead of an e-mail, I received an actual letter address to me, not to occupant, saying that a man with the same last name has died in Spain and as his lawyer he is trying to locate a possible heir. My last name is not what you would call common (completely uncommon actually) but I have come across a couple of families with the same name that we are not related to. Even if this is legit, which I seriously doubt, it would be extremely unlikely that he was of any relation to me since I have not heard of any family living in Spain. Scammers must be getting desperate, junk mail blockers, people actually getting smart about these thing etc. that they have to resort to snail mail to get there scam through.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I'm pretty sure you don't have "SUCKER" written on your forehead.

Nice variant on the scam...
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I got one of those letters a few years ago. I sent a note saying that he should keep half a million for his trouble and send me a cheque for the balance.

Comment

I get the same one saying that my uncle Walter has died in Spain and they're looking for his heirs.

Comment

You too?
          My neighbor got one earlier this year stating a relative of her husband had died in Spain. They also have an unusual last name, she's also the local postmaster. Not sure if that made any difference or not but I doubt it, just luck of the draw.
          Don't plan any major pre-buys just yet.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

I have won lotteries I never bought a ticket for some I never even heard of.

the newest that has been hitting me is people call calming to be working for a collection agency. and it is such a little amount they can settle it over the phone. all they need is my card number or checking account number.

Comment

Could be real I suppose, I mean I feel real lucky today, I won a free ticket on the lottery.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

So you haven't told us what leads you believe this is a scam? You were sent a letter..what else seems fishy, did they ask for something? I don't see the scam yet.

Stuart

Comment

Have not seen that one.....

As for others....

A series of "you have been foreclosed on and need to move out immediately before your belongings are placed out on the street, check this document for details".....

A series of "our courier was unable to deliver the package, check this site for details".

A series like the courier one but claiming to be from USPS, Fed-Ex, or UPS....

A series of ones from "the bank", all banks I never use..... with the obligatory link....

A series allegedly from stock broking firms (did they mistake me for Mitt Romney?) As usual with the link....

A series of "your vehicle failed to pay toll on the road" naturally with a "document link"....

Never seen an inheritance one yet, but it looks like they may be next....

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I can add at least one more to the list. An email from Mueller himself at the FBI saying they've been watching frauds but checking this sum of money I'm owed is legitimate so I can go ahead and deal with them. In retrospect I never even thanked the Bureau. My bad.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Have not seen that one.....

As for others....

A series of "you have been foreclosed on and need to move out immediately before your belongings are placed out on the street, check this document for details".....

A series of "our courier was unable to deliver the package, check this site for details".

A series like the courier one but claiming to be from USPS, Fed-Ex, or UPS....

A series of ones from "the bank", all banks I never use..... with the obligatory link....

A series allegedly from stock broking firms (did they mistake me for Mitt Romney?) As usual with the link....

A series of "your vehicle failed to pay toll on the road" naturally with a "document link"....

Never seen an inheritance one yet, but it looks like they may be next....
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Several years ago I got a letter from an attorney who deals with missing heirs. At first I thought it was a scam, but he had a website that looked legit, and he wasn't asking for any really sensitive information. I sent a copy of the letter to my older brother, who hadn't been contacted. Both of us ended up getting several thousand dollars each from the estate of one of our father's cousins, who had died in Ohio without a will. We also got a list of the heirs the attorney had located showing how much each got based on how closely each was related.

Being cautious, I cashed the check at the bank where I have a small account that I use with PayPal, which isn't linked to any other account I have.

So, it's possible that it's legit, but the huge amount involved and the foreign aspect makes it seem very iffy.
                      Last edited by winchman; 08-05-2014, 11:44 PM.
                      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Many years before I ever got an internet connection- heck, before there really was such a thing as what we know as the internet- a relative got an actual letter from Nigera. Actual Nigerian stamps (as in, not a simple bulk-mail printed postmark) and hand-addressed with very neat penmanship.

Inside was a letter, addressed personally to my relative, and clearly typed on a typewriter (not a word processor, etc.) The paper was of a high quality, with a nice printed border much like you'd see on a diploma. And to it was affixed a circular gold seal, embossed with a very fancy raised pattern- as I recall, purportedly the face of the President of Nigeria or somesuch.

Unlike your 'lost heir' thing, it was the now-common Nigerian Scam; there was this lost fund, the result of a bank or something having closed, and due to the unrest in the area, the writer was looking for help to get it out of the country, etc.

Again, this was long before any of us had heard of the so-called 419 scams, or Nigerian scams, or whatever other variant of the old "Spanish Prisoner" scam was, or still is, going around. (Check Wikipedia- the "spanish prisoner" scam dates back to something like the 14th century.)

We were skeptical but intrigued, but after asking around, including to a lawyer (friend of the family) we eventually determined that yes, it was indeed a common scam. The writers of the letter likely got the name and address from local records (the relative had a public business and business license, etc.)

On your "lost heir" letter, were it legit- and I'll bet every dollar they offer in it that it's not- they would almost have to engage a US-based legal firm, and such a firm would be mentioned in the text. There should be a phone number and return address, both of which should be searchable on Google. A legit legal firm- even a legit Spanish legal firm- should have a clear presence on the internet. Look up the firm, the lawyer that wrote the letter, etc. and see what you find.

We have come full circle; for a while there, it was cheap and easy to email millions of addresses for this kind of thing. Now with antispamware for email accounts, raised awareness of the scams, spam blockers, etc. the email doesn't work much anymore. But since everyone is so used to email today, that a paper letter now carries more weight again. The scammers have simply moved back to the old version.

Doc.
                        Last edited by Doc Nickel; 08-06-2014, 01:16 AM.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Send them the details of a bank account with $1.00 in it and see if anything happens , they may take the dollar or decide that you are not worth touching .

Better still ask them for a processing fee along with their account details.

Michael

Comment

Must be my neihborhood. No letters to me like that.
                            But a woman needs two dollars cuz she ran out of gass.
                            I see her allot, but each time she looks like a different woman.

Might be her husband or brother that needs any loose change I might have for buss fare.
                            They often need five dollars to get to Kenosha, cuz their (insert familly member)
                            is in the hospital and his/her car won't start.

Comment

Some 30 years ago I got a letter in the mail, claiming I was an heir (among many) to an oil well. I almost threw it away, but it turned out that my great grandad retained mineral rights to a homestead in Montana. My share has been enough to pay for my oil changes every year

The well is on the edge of what is now the Bakken oil field. Might be more royalties in the future.
                              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                              X