X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnetic chuck question

Am having a blast with the surface grinder, grinding everything in
    sight, nothing is safe "don't know how I got along without one"

anyway, am considering getting a new mag chuck for it. The eclipse chuck it came
    with still has plenty of holding power but the poles are like 4" apart I do a lot
    of packing around parts.

As a bonus I'm coming across some low profile chucks that would win back some
    much needed headroom for me. (To use an endmill sharpening fixture on a 5/8" endmill
    I need to mount a worn down wheel, maybe 4" in diameter to get things to fit).

But I don't know a lot about them and I'm in Italy so that means vendors give
    you very little / no information and charge crazy money.

That said, I'm seeing a few options that "look different" and ads throw around
    words like alnico, neodymium, permanent magnet, etc.

This one is 6x12 and less than 1.5" thick but that's a lot of yellow metal in there (~$250):

This one is about the same size (a little thicker), finer pole, and $200 more (likely too rich for
    my blood) -- but looks be a different build:

Any tips for buying a mag chuck? Things to look out for? I realize these are imports but thats
    all the hobby can bear at the moment. Am wondering if the first one ($250) is junk.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tony View Post
    This one is about the same size (a little thicker), finer pole, and $200 more (likely too rich for
    my blood) -- but looks be a different build:

Any tips for buying a mag chuck? !
    Tip #1
    If that's a name-brand fine-line for $550
    snatch it without hesitation.
    If it's Chinese not so much.
    If made in Tiawan , Poland etc etc. stuff can be pretty good.

Seriously thO' the first one avoid.
    Realise that if you get serious work you want to do,
    a fine-line is a must, both for small work, batch-work
    and most importantly in using magnetic paralells and magnetic V-blocks.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks 'Hat.
      They're both chinese, just different stickers. But I was refering to the 'style' more than anything
      else. The build construction, that is. Even the first one has at least 2x the pole density of the chuck
      I have now. They almost look like they're made for two different types of work.

Comment

Also doesn't look like the first one has rails -- so I'd have to drill/tap -- dangerous?
        I'd hate to break it.

My eclipse is 3.25" tall.. this thing (the first one) is 1.5" -- I can only assume I'm
        loosing some "umph". (Although my eclipse isn't the freshest, it's still got a good bite).

Comment

Get the second one - fine pole with a rail. This one has the most versatility. For large area and thickness it doesn't matter too much, but for smaller parts, magnetic blocks, etc. it is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            Get the second one - fine pole with a rail. This one has the most versatility. For large area and thickness it doesn't matter too much, but for smaller parts, magnetic blocks, etc. it is important.
            Agreed........ fine pole is always the best way to go especially if you grinding small parts. I have an old B&S on my KO, small parts will slip between the leaded segments, been thinking about upgrading it to a fine pole.

JL...............

Comment

i see the fine pole for 380 euros on fervis site. can you get it for less than that?

Comment

price is better on the fervi site than it is on ebay italy, thats interesting.

but there's a 25% sales tax here, so comes to 475 euro (~$640).

might start digging around UK and German ebay.

Comment

Man, those things aren't cheap, are they?

In Canada, accusize/quality machineshop offerings list the dimensions as well as the pole/separator size...to me, until you get to something like a Suburban, they all look very much the same.
                  The above seller in Canada gets some items from Taiwan some from China and I suspect its a bit of a crap shoot as to which you will end up with...6x12 is $409 Cdn so prices are in line too

Comment

Isn't the On/Off lever of the first one liable to get in the way? Or does it detach after being moved into position? And if it does, then how do you know at a glance whether the thing is on or off? (Like ball valve vs gate valve kinda thing...)
                    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Those levers are just hex-wrenches with handles.
                      They come out.
                      I don't picture that first chuck in use on a surface grinder.

It reminds me of the chucks used in VTL / VBM work.
                      3, 4, or 6, mag-chucks bolt to the VTL or VBM's chuck.
                      Thin work and work that can't be distorted, or is hard to chuck
                      can then be mounted easily and securely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=86mE5M36U-M
                      better vid.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJZ...layer_embedded
                      Last edited by Old Hat; 08-10-2014, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X