Russian Bombers in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randyjaco View Post
    Propeller driven bombers, even in the 70's couldn't have been too much of a threat.
    These bombers carried rocket propelled missiles which could be launched a hundred miles from the target. These missiles would be traveling at super sonic speeds when they approached the aircraft carrier target. They carried a large high explosive warhead and may have have even carried a nuclear warhead.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
      Your teacher was correct and your father was wrong old Hat. Respectfully my opinion...................
      .I hate fools who adopt gung ho mentality without stopping to think these thihgs through ,or even worse distort the truth to bring the sceptics on board remember bushes mushroom cluds and blairs forty five minutes warning before disaster.All absolute lies as was most of their evidence for a quick attack.Shameful. Alistair
      Points well made, and I agree. Dad's advice applied to personal conflicts.
      The teacher was a coward.
      I read all of your discertation, and it seems valid.
      It was foolish of me to boil things down to a generallity!
      My Bad.
      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
        Sorry Old Hat, I watched a lot of Star Trek but that episode escapes me - I draw a blank.
        Originally posted by Willy View Post
        Don't remember seeing that episode but from your description it sounds like you are describing the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.

Yup !! Thanks guys that's it!
        Was it for dog-fights, or one-shot over-take and kill? Or.?
        I sure like those planes but am clueless as to their abillities.

Comment

I spoke to a pilot once who flew them, he was also clueless about thier abilities, he reckoned it was the only plane that scared him, downright unpredictable apparently, how that translates i dont know as i am not in any way qualified but repeating what he said.
          Mark

Comment

Thanks, sounds exciting!

Comment

Back in the early 60’s the Germans were concerned that the Russians might take out their airports in a first strike. The US developed rocket boosters to launch F 100 and F 104’s off flatbed trailers that could be parked anywhere. I was with Rocketdyne Solid Rocket Div. that built these. The pilot was just along for the ride for the first seven seconds. I probably still have some photos. Also have a picture of the B 36 which was our Main nuclear delivery in the 50’s. Later versions were also equipped with supplementary jet engines.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

The F-104 was tricky to fly and had a high accident rate. For all that, a lot of air forces flew them and they were in service for 40 years. They were a mach-2 capable interceptor. They were not great dogfighters at low speeds. The F-104 set many speed, climb, and altitude records.

Comment

Thank You.
                  Maybe I'll have some cool dreams tonight, constructed of chilhood memories of multiple sonic booms
                  always around 1:30 pm in these parts. We Luv'd 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkBall2 View Post
                    F-4 Phantom................ living proof, put big enough engines in it, a brick will fly.

Not too bad either considering the top speed is above 2.8 Mach. Held ground to altitude record until the Streak Eagle took over.
                    Actually, the top speed of the F-4 was just slightly over 2.2 Mach. I flew RF-4C's and F-4E's. The F-4E's had too much drag to get much over 1.8 Mach. A really clean RF-4C, sans external tanks and nothing else hanging off the hard points could get to about Mach 2.3 on a dive.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X