Unable to access websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to access websites

This problem started recently , when trying to access a new site and some previously accessed sites .
    I get a message which says that the real XYZ site is not able to be accessed .

This appears to be some "upgrade by microsoft to force people to move to their new crap software .

I do not like some foreign outsider trying to force me to upgrade or purchase new equipment .
    Smacks of corruption to me .

Michael

HUH? Billons of others are quite happy, but because something affects you, you automatically blame Microsoft, again. What happened to your big move to unix/linux/anything else?

Comment

Most of our main system has been moved away from the junk system , however some people we deal with insist on using that software for whatever reason , so there is a seperate network on Windows.
      Michael

Comment

If it's a work network you're better off talking to the IT department to see if they are employing filters. If it's your own PC/business you have probably picked up some malware that's redirecting yournweb traffic.It certainly won't be some Microsoft conspiracy.
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I dont accept that a company , no matter where they are based or how large they may be can force people to "upgrade" software and hardware just because some want "the latest".

If some machine or product is working and customers are happy with that situation then leave it at that.

I dont go and buy a new vehicle just because it has features that my current one does not have .

In fact I am getting a vehicle back on the road which does not have SRS airbags fitted and it is a lot safer than the models which have airbags fitted .

That is because I regularly drive in areas where animal strike is the norm and have hit over 700 or more kangaroos and small pigs etc , with no damage to the vehicle but flattened them.

Thats 3760 kg hitting 80+ kg at 100 - 110 klms/hr ,

And when you are in a remote area it is very important that the vehicle and its contents keep moving normally . I only want something that I can rely on to do the task that is asked of it .

I have no time to waste with systems that require constant upgrades or patches with absolutely no regards to the cost of the wasted time to a business.

All that many care about is their smart phones or tablets , they are not as reliable as the older equipment .
          Maybe the old stuff isnt as fast or has a pretty picture on the screen , but it would run 24/7 for years , could be easily repaired in the field .

If a smart phone has a hiccup , chuck it on the road and smash it , then go and buy another.

I know which system I would rather have , the reliable one.

Michael

Comment

To borrow a car analogy, its like for example the older vauxhall carltons could be opened by a half tennis ball over the lock. Once it became common knowledge, you could get a fix from them for it after letters went out to the dealerships etc, or continue to use it hoping nobody took advantage of that weakness to steal your stereo.

Auto update just applies the fixes same way as the letters to dealerships did manually for the warentee fix on the lock problem. You can disable it at your own risk of leaving yourself exposed to whatever its fixing. I have linux systems and have to maintain them and every so often a patch breaks something unexpected. Or a system that hasnt been patched for a long time becomes impratical to patch up to current levels and we reinstall it with a newer version. If you aren't on a LTS version of linux, the release /upgrade cycle is actually quite short.

Theres a cost to fixing outdated systems against things, microsoft won't support a release forever (xp) as they cant realistically do so and stay in buisness. Would you expect your car maker to supply every part for a 20 year old car still?

If you need xp or whatever long term, just leave it running, and pull the network cable. Then it doesnt matter if it gets compromised. Or firewall it off into a private network and use it for that dedicated task, not web browsing, email etc.

Comment

Or perhaps the remote sites are down for some reason,
              or unreachable due to a failed link,
              or some network admin f'd up their BGP configs,
              or under dos attack so they can't answer,
              or a link between you and the remote site is being attacked,
              or perhaps they use a content delivery network such as Akamai and Akamai is having a bad day,
              or the someone has polluted DNS, redirecting XYZ to the North Korean People's Kimchi Factory #5 And Intelligence Agency,
              or your computers got confused about something,
              or someone at the remote sites put some really bad HTML/Java/JavaScript into the sites, breaking browsers.

?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                I dont accept that a company , no matter where they are based or how large they may be can force people to "upgrade" software and hardware just because some want "the latest".

If some machine or product is working and customers are happy with that situation then leave it at that.

Michael
                My Windows systems are 100% reliable, and I'm not the only one, but we've been here.

Sounds like you are just grinding that same old rusty axe you haul out every few months. No one is forcing you to do anything; you don't have to update (free) anything from the original non-service pak install if you don't want to, but you're NUTZ not to and a lot of " modern" software won't work.

Read the posts above, and get on with machining something.

Comment

I dont have to follow the rest of the sheeple in the flock.

I have a very intense dislike towards software companies who admittedly have to make money to stay in business , but to charge extremely inflated prices for a product ,(which makes people look for "free" copies) , when if the price was affordable then piracy would not be a problem.

If I purchase a tool for a particular application and have the supplier want to charge me a licence fee to use that tool it would either be returned or destroyed.

If something is purchased then the purchaser owns it and should also have the right to use /modify as they see fit .

If i tried to make my customers pay me for the privelige of having my name in a part fitted to their equipment ,I would not have customers for long and as far as I am concerned the same applies to software .

If i wrote a piece of software to control a device that code would be supplied as part of the sale , for the customer to modify as they see fit.

A Licence to use something has never been very well accepted by me and I do not see any change coming , I can just hear the howls erupting if Bridgeport put a retrospective licence fee on all of their mills for example along with the tooling .
                  Same crap .

Michael

Comment

I had this happen to me..
                    There was a conflict with Norton firewall..
                    When I turned off the firewall, all websites came back..
                    I had to work thru Symantec helpdesk to solve..
                    Dan
                    This problem started recently , when trying to access a new site and some previously accessed sites .
                    I get a message which says that the real XYZ site is not able to be accessed .

This appears to be some "upgrade by microsoft to force people to move to their new crap software .

I do not like some foreign outsider trying to force me to upgrade or purchase new equipment .

Michael

Comment

I dont have to follow the rest of the sheeple in the flock.

I have a very intense dislike towards software companies who admittedly have to make money to stay in business , but to charge extremely inflated prices for a product ,(which makes people look for "free" copies) , when if the price was affordable then piracy would not be a problem.

If I purchase a tool for a particular application and have the supplier want to charge me a licence fee to use that tool it would either be returned or destroyed.

If something is purchased then the purchaser owns it and should also have the right to use /modify as they see fit .

If i tried to make my customers pay me for the privelige of having my name in a part fitted to their equipment ,I would not have customers for long and as far as I am concerned the same applies to software .

If i wrote a piece of software to control a device that code would be supplied as part of the sale , for the customer to modify as they see fit.

A Licence to use something has never been very well accepted by me and I do not see any change coming , I can just hear the howls erupting if Bridgeport put a retrospective licence fee on all of their mills for example along with the tooling .
                      Same crap .

Michael
                      OK, grind on the axe, but why not tell us exactly why you insist your inability to access a site is the evil Microsoft's problem. Heck , you don't even have to use their browser. Obviously you don't get that an XP 1.0 release isn't going to work for 20 years (it did work with pretty much all of the software of its release era), but they gave you all the updates for free, so use them, or find another forum to spout your political views.
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

So as soon as I be critical of the precious Microsoft , it lets make him go away , or make him comply with what everyone else thinks.

No way .

There are people with different opinions in the world and if anyone cant air their views it getting pretty bad.

I dont take too kindly to being told to be quiet and sit down and behave by anyone .

I think also that its time to find a forum which allows free expression of views , criticism of the accepted way when the need arises like now.

I will keep visiting by may just go back to viewing only as to me its obvious that the views of outsiders are not wanted.

Michael
                        Michael

Comment

Good. This is pretty much where you ended up last time when you dumped the same old BS on us.

You can be as critical as you like, but nothing you've presented shows any causal relationship between "Microsoft" and your problems.

Comment

So as soon as I be critical of the precious Microsoft , it lets make him go away , or make him comply with what everyone else thinks.

No way .

There are people with different opinions in the world and if anyone cant air their views it getting pretty bad.

I dont take too kindly to being told to be quiet and sit down and behave by anyone .

I think also that its time to find a forum which allows free expression of views , criticism of the accepted way when the need arises like now.

I will keep visiting by may just go back to viewing only as to me its obvious that the views of outsiders are not wanted.

Michael
                            Michael
                            Oh please, read my post above without your tinfoil paranoiac hat on. I'm certainly no microsoft apologist, I'm just being pragmatic that we've still got a bit of work to rid ourselves of the disease that their products have been.
                            Theres 20 computers within reach of my keyboard, exactly 1 of which is running windows 8 that we keep for legacy support, and another turned off with xp on it because its got some software that needs to be native we need like once a year or every two. I'm pointing out that you can just turn autoupdate off and run at your own risk if you think thats breaking things. I know of devices released this year, with unpatched xp at their heart, but as a result we have to keep them airgapped with the understanding that they wouldnt survive more than about 10 minutes wtih a unfiltered internet connection.

I agree its probably a dns or software issue on your machine, or the windows stuff I'm forced to have to work with would have all stopped working and the internet would be full of fury.
                            Try doing a "nslookup example.com 4.2.2.8" from a cmd shell, then repeat with a domain name that isnt working in your browser. If that doesnt work your dns is broken somehow and the root cause. 4.2.2.8 is one of googles dns servers if your curious.

Comment

I was unfamiliar with nslookup, and it did not work when I tried it as you show, on my Win8 machine. The server 4.2.2.8 timed out. I think you need to use one of their (Google) public name servers. I used 8.8.8.8 and it worked.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I was able to use it in interactive mode with the default server (which is my broadband router), although it gave me a "Non-Authoritative Answer". My domains all came back with the same IPV6 and IPV4 addresses.

When I set the server to NS1.mydomain.com, it came back with just an IPV4 address, which was different from that reported by the router. And again, all my domains were the same.

Interestingly (to me), the address given by the default server 108.175.14.227 resolved to 1and1.com, which is my domain host, but the ns1.mydomain.com server (which is my domain registrar) showed 68.96.163.139 which is "Bizland", or "Endurance International Group".

For more detailed information, see:
                              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200525
                              Last edited by PStechPaul; 08-09-2014, 07:27 AM. Reason: public name servers
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X