Unable to access websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post

Interestingly (to me), the address given by the default server 108.175.14.227 resolved to 1and1.com, which is my domain host, but the ns1.mydomain.com server (which is my domain registrar) showed 68.96.163.139 which is "Bizland", or "Endurance International Group".
    When I did a lookup for your domain I get this:

$ nslookup peschoen.com
    Server: 127.0.0.1
    Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: peschoen.com
    Address: 108.175.14.227

I'm using my own name server which is non-authoritative. To find the authoritative name server I use the whois command and get this:

whois peschoen.com
    (lots of stuff snipped)
    Name Server: NS51.1AND1.COM
    Name Server: NS52.1AND1.COM

Now I can get the same information from your specified dns host:
    $ nslookup peschoen.com NS51.1AND1.COM
    Server: NS51.1AND1.COM
    Address: 217.160.80.164#53

Name: peschoen.com
    Address: 108.175.14.227

I see the same address returned that my server returns. But look what happens when we do a reverse lookup.

$ nslookup 108.175.14.227 NS51.1AND1.COM
    Server: NS51.1AND1.COM
    Address: 217.160.80.164#53

227.14.175.108.in-addr.arpa name = perfora.net.

That's not quite right. Your DNS PTR record does not match your DNS A record.
    A peschoen.com 108.175.14.227
    PTR perfora.net 227.14.175.108.in-addr.arpa

So what is the A record for perfora.net?

$ nslookup perfora.net ns-1and1.ui-dns.com
    Server: ns-1and1.ui-dns.com
    Address: 217.160.82.200#53

Name: perfora.net
    Address: 213.165.67.109

The A record for perfora.net is
    perfora.net 213.165.67.109

and the PTR record for 213.165.67.109 is
    109.67.165.213.in-addr.arpa name = ml.kundenserver.de

It appears perfora.net moved to a different DNS host (see whois perfora.net) and you inherited their old IP address. Your registrar did not reassign the PTR record to match the new A record hence the mismatch. The new perfora.net A record is also mismatched with the PTR record. None of this matters to you but it is interesting to understand how this works because DNS is really trashed on a global basis.

Unless you run a mail server this probably won't matter. Unless you have a signed SSL certificate this probably won't matter. But you really should ask your provider to change the PTR record (227.14.175.108.in-addr.arpa) to point to peschoen.com. That provider can be found by using whois:

whois 108.175.14.227
    Last edited by dp; 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      I was unfamiliar with nslookup, and it did not work when I tried it as you show, on my Win8 machine. The server 4.2.2.8 timed out. I think you need to use one of their (Google) public name servers. I used 8.8.8.8 and it worked.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I was able to use it in interactive mode with the default server (which is my broadband router), although it gave me a "Non-Authoritative Answer". My domains all came back with the same IPV6 and IPV4 addresses.

When I set the server to NS1.mydomain.com, it came back with just an IPV4 address, which was different from that reported by the router. And again, all my domains were the same.

Interestingly (to me), the address given by the default server 108.175.14.227 resolved to 1and1.com, which is my domain host, but the ns1.mydomain.com server (which is my domain registrar) showed 68.96.163.139 which is "Bizland", or "Endurance International Group".

For more detailed information, see:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200525
      Win7 and earlier support nslookup. Probably they removed it from win8 as part of the dumbing down thats been happening each release. Does it still ship with a command shell telnet client, zip support and ftp I wonder? This and the abstraction and difficulty of seeing what exactly is going on under the hood is why many have migrated away from it.

Actually 4.2.2.6 is a level3 dns server rather than google which is more likely to be alive than a google one, since level3 networks is a huge backbone provider. But you can use the 8.8.8.8 one, thats the point you dont have to use any specific, I just happen to remember the ip of level3 off the top of my head and use it for testing.

$ dig -x 4.2.2.6

;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;6.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
      6.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa. 86293 IN PTR resolver8.Level3.net.
      6.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa. 86293 IN PTR f.resolvers.Level3.net.

$ ping 4.2.2.6
      PING 4.2.2.6 (4.2.2.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
      64 bytes from 4.2.2.6: icmp_req=1 ttl=51 time=251 ms
      64 bytes from 4.2.2.6: icmp_req=2 ttl=51 time=213 ms
      ^C
      --- 4.2.2.6 ping statistics ---
      2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
      rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 213.494/232.436/251.379/18.948 ms
      [email protected] ~ $ nslookup
      > server 4.2.2.6
      Default server: 4.2.2.6
      Address: 4.2.2.6#53
      > bbs.homeshopmachinist.net
      Server: 4.2.2.6
      Address: 4.2.2.6#53

Non-authoritative answer:
      bbs.homeshopmachinist.net canonical name = europa-0.villagepress.com.
      Name: europa-0.villagepress.com
      Address: 69.223.24.100

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post

Actually 4.2.2.6 is a level3 dns server rather than google which is more likely to be alive than a google one, since level3 networks is a huge backbone provider. But you can use the 8.8.8.8 one, thats the point you dont have to use any specific, I just happen to remember the ip of level3 off the top of my head and use it for testing.
        In your earlier post you typed in 4.2.2.8, not 4.2.2.6.

It's interesting that for 10 or more years the ISC has been saying nslookup is deprecated and will be going away, so use dig instead . I prefer dig but doesn't seem to have penetrated fortress MSFT yet.

Comment

I think related to the original post type situation. On Youtube I get "your are using an old browser upgrade it before we stop supporting it". Already some sites just pretend not to work and throw up a rude "our site is so trendy we won't work with old browsers " message. Trouble is my company laptop is IT controlled so it's out of my hands.
          I don't blame microsoft I blame the geeks who want to make out they are so clever they have to use the latest gimmik added to the new versions.

Comment

Relax Mike4
            we are all pretty sure that your operating system is not the cause not being able to connect to
            these sites. As others have said there could be NUMEROUS reasons .. none of them your OS.

Mike A
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

He has probably been banned...
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

The site which I was attempting to access is that of a soon to be ex -supplier who has "upgraded their site" .
                Over twenty years we have spent six figure sums with them on a regular basis, that will end on Monday as I have found another company who is willing to supply what is required without any site upgrades as they realize the costs involved in changing hardware and software , training staff etc .

That is what my beef with the precious Microsoft was started by , their constant insistence that we just throw away perfectly good equipment because the latest version does not support a multifunction printer which cost $2-4k and is less than twelve months old .

I dont and wont support this type of forced change from any business.

I believe that any person running a business would feel the same .

But as many here seem to not be working for a living I should not have even expected any support of any type .

My mistake for asking in the first place .

And to Lakeside I have just spent the last twenty eight hours repairing a new system which the dealer told the purchaser to , "uninstall it and bring it back to our shop and we will check it out.

We pulled the pump out from 50 meters down a bore and repaired a poorly designed connection which had allowed water to enter a mains connection .

It is now fully operational after my intervention , customer very pleased with our work and time spent on his project .

So I have been working , none of us gives a fig about the manufacturers warranty either as with their attitude its not worth any thing.

Michael

Comment

Hi Michael
                  But as many here seem to not be working for a living I should not have even expected any support of any type .

My mistake for asking in the first place .
                  I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with those statements. Your mistake was, rather than give any specific details, you chose to rant and ramble about
                  things not working anymore and plots to force upgrades. You failed to provide any relevant information such as operating system and version, browser
                  and version, and any of the sites you were having problems with, making it difficult if not impossible for anyone to even attempt to offer any support.
                  You should not be indignant that you are not getting the help you want, details are important.
                  Last edited by RichR; 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Microsoft doesn't write the printer drivers for your OS - If your printer doesn't work that's because the printer manf didn't make one, or didn't write to be compatible going forward. Take it up with them. But we covered all this before.

As for your soon-to-be-gone supplier upgrading his system... he probably has really good reasons to not allow ancient non-secure remote connections. Don't be surprised when your new supplier changes his connection requirements in the future.

Comment

Lakeside, The new supplier thinks as I do and our systems are secure with the appropriate firewalls (hardware ), for basic online communications.

The Microsoft software is only now used for this pc as it is used for ordering parts .

I have chosen a supplier who caters for all types of systems used by customers , if like me you dint want a glossy website full of bandwidth wasting garbage , they cater for that as well as those who crave the latest ego polishing dribble.

The computers are just tools to carryout work and as such will be disposed of when I decide that they have reached their useful life end as is the case with other equipment , not some software or hardware supplier looking for a sale..

RichR , I do not give out specifics as to operating system versions or other details on a non -secure internet site which is open to anyone.

I work with clients who want work done on equipment , on a similar basis as they know that I can diagnose faults with little input from them.

Michael

Comment

Check Time and Date on your computer.
                        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Working...
                        X