Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Some years ago, when I was a relative newbee here, this subject came up. In my relative youth, I had noticed that some people on the board did not always use correct spelling or grammar or punctuation. Now, I have had a "Jesuit Education", both high school and college and believe me, they can pound it into you. And I do believe that such proper English is beneficial and a worthy personal goal. And proper use of language will help to express your ideas in a more understandable manner.

So the subject came up here and I was all too ready to jump in on the side of the language purists. I mean after all, they are right, aren't they? But I stopped for a few minutes and thought. Here I am, a newbee at the time in the world of machining. And I am here to learn more about machining, not about English. Contrast, if you will, my lack of knowledge on machining subjects (which still exists on many topics) and their lack in the writing arts. They are not making fun of my lack of machining knowledge, are they? Well, only in jest, I suppose. So, why should I question their language skills. We all have our skills and areas where we are lacking. And this is a machining board, not an English composition board.

Another point is, for better or worse, language evolves. If you don't believe me, just try to read the original Shakespeare or Beowolf, both supposedly in English.

So, then and now, I say this: this is a machining board, NOT an English language board.

Look to the superb knowledge that the people here have on so many aspects of machining and the mechanical arts and be kind in regard to any spelling or grammatical errors that they might make. Frankly, Mr. "Jesuit Education" here, just made at least a half dozen uses of the spelling checker and several additional spelling corrections without resorting to it, just in this one post. I can't spell worth a hoot. And I still see the word "newbee" underlined in red above at least two times so that is not even a proper word at all. But it expresses my thought and I am sure that all here will understand it, so it remains.

One thing I do do is to read my posts before posting them. That always produces corrections so I do recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• krutch
    replied
    I never could understand why I should have to change because someone else got "offended" over anything. But I am not allowed to be offended by their "fake" offence!
    And it now seems some sit around looking for anything to be offended by.
    Another industry build around an idea!

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I was going to say the old adage of "opinions are like assholes --- everybody's got one"

till I realized that would not be neither fair nor honest to all the people out there walking around with colostomy bags...

so im just going to sit this one out for a change...

Leave a comment:

• Frank Ford
    replied
    As I see it, any thread that starts as or turns into a discussion about communication and personality is worthless to the majority of members here.

This one started with an 800 word tome from which I get only one message: "Hey, I've paid my dues, and I have a right to be grumpy!"

Leave a comment:

• Rustybolt
    replied
    Who put you in charge of what other forum members want? (in reference to Black Forrest)

I did. I said it was OK.
    Plus he gave me five bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Rosco-P
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    On more of a mellow side-note, I wonder if Old Hat is actually Oldtiffie?

lot of similarities there...

not that that's a bad thing, just sayin...
    Don't believe so because: no pictures of a rolling cart with cylindrical squares and other "Metrology"; conversation/posts not lectures; no threats to "bin" anything.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    On more of a mellow side-note, I wonder if Old Hat is actually Oldtiffie?

lot of similarities there...

not that that's a bad thing, just sayin...

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I (not we) also enjoy reading about the new and old ways of accomplishing a task. What I don't enjoy is the look down your nose at anyone who isn't old school or isn't willing to take a load of crap just to learn something. It is the uneducated Old School types that hang on to how they were taught like Old Hat that is distasteful to me. Usually they think that because they are really good at what they do everyone around them has to put up with their hollering, cussing and tantrums. That some how their hardness adds to their position. I say get a life and join the real world. Those times are over. The world has moved on to a more knowing manner of conveying knowledge for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
    Who put you in charge of what other forum members want?

As a guy who used to get paid to make chips, I enjoy reading (and sometimes writing) about different ways- modern and old school- someone with a lot of experience accomplishes a given task.

Post away, Old Hat!
    Me!

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    Old Hat, yer gonna love Evan. Hopefully he'll be returning.

Leave a comment:

• CarlByrns
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    ... ... You wasted it on me, and wasted space on the board.

And how much of our time and space was wasted reading the novel that you wrote?

This is a HOME shop machinist forum not a professional machinists forum. We don't want to suffer the ego's of members. This is not a place where every minute counts to find a solution and therefore dispense with proper communication formalities. If you are too tired to communicate in a normal manner then wait until you aren't so tired.
    Who put you in charge of what other forum members want?

As a guy who used to get paid to make chips, I enjoy reading (and sometimes writing) about different ways- modern and old school- someone with a lot of experience accomplishes a given task.

Post away, Old Hat!

Leave a comment:

• CarlByrns
    replied
    Originally posted by uncle pete View Post
    Edit, juheases H. ****ing christ. this forum now edits out any swear words? That's about as anti democratic as you can get. Count me as an ex member as of now.

Pete
    It took you almost 1500 posts to figure that out and for it to be an issue?

Leave a comment:

• studentjim
    replied
    Uncle Pete, your post never said it better.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    This forum is not as bad as one, where I was discussing "scraping" the insulation from a wire, and durned if it didn't find a mild expletive hidden in there and translated it as "s****ing" which was rather difficult to understand. So don't sweat the small stuff. This is a great forum and it has helped me immensely, and I'm grateful for that. I can put up with its peccadillos and those of some who post here. We're all human after all, and the forum is really just a machine.

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Old Hat,
    FWIW I'm more than thankful for your effort and experience, and you've obviously spent a lot of time trying to educate us about and on a variety of subjects. I'm a long time open pit miner and we don't mince words or give a **** about politically correct either. Not if you actually know what your doing anyway. There isn't time for that "nice". And I couldn't care less about that anyway. I read some of this forums threads so I can learn, but your posts are and can be very dffficult to read at times. If your unsure of a words spelling, then Google can fix that. Damned if I know how to set up and use the spell check system here. But less wordy for your particular posts I think would be a start, and for sure much less physiological mumbo jumbo since no one cares or gives a **** about that, just explain things like you would to someone else on the shop floor would work far far better. You want non PC or just like the average work site? Dyslexia isn't an excuse, figure out how to at least use Google for what your trying to say. I'm almost the worlds worst speller, but that's what I use, or at least how I do it. But if you can't or won't do that? Well we guess I can tough it through your posts if I really have to and if the topics interesting enough. But your loosing people due to your rambling on about a whole lot of unnessisary bull **** to be honest. So just stick to the subject you obviously know so well. "Just the ****ing fact's and nothing but".

I truly despise the usual amature physiology, even more so when it's mine since I've sure as hell got less than zero training. But I suspect reading between the lines you might have recently joined up here and have then tried to pass some of your knowledge on before your gone. That's reasonable I guess. But obviously this IS still an amature hobbiest level board. Most here don't care or probably even know enough if your right or not. But there are some of us are paying attention I think.

Edit, juheases H. ****ing christ. this forum now edits out any swear words? That's about as anti democratic as you can get. Count me as an ex member as of now.

Pete
    Last edited by uncle pete; 08-09-2014, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X