No announcement yet.

Quality time with my import drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job on the drill press. I learned a lot from watching the video. The Benny Hill theme song on the fast motion video was perfect.

I converted a drill press nearly like that to a tapping station. Put a tapping head on it and a three phase motor with a gear reducer. Works perfect up to 10mm.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Was a honey do list day but I managed to watch the video during a couple of breaks between the do's.
      Benny Hill theme song was a perfect touch, been humming it all day. Takes me back a few years. Benny Hill was on later in the evening. Wasn't expressly forbidden to watch but homework etc better be done first. What do you know, nothing changes.

Comment

haha... thanks for posting... job well done.
        ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
        http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
        https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          Thanks glad you guys enjoyed it.

Black: its not CNC, just sounds that way when you speed the video up. DOC is typically 0.020-0.025 when I'm
          roughing. dull insert + DOC = sparks. that and it makes the video more exciting

Tony
          I'll warn you right here, last time I did an interrupted cut with a dull insert (ok the interrupted cut dulled the hell outta it) and saw sparks, afterwards one of the compound nut (the 2 that let you swivel it/lock its swivel) where stripped!

Keep those tools sharp or the forces become immense, using a dull insert is like cutting with a chunk of dull rebar as a tool, sure it works, but only because an unstoppable force meets an immovable object and something has to move outta the way. The force against a dull insert will also make it duller and duller in no time at all.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Very nice video! There are times I wish I had someone take video of a process or job I am working on and then speed it up and all that. I find those kinds of videos neat.

It does remind me that I crashed my drill press not long ago with a 4" hole saw and now I have runout at the chuck. I need to look into that some day.

One other thing I noticed and was thinking threwout the video was I wish I had time to play around like that.
            Andy

Comment

Don't recall if the dimension was mentioned in the video, so this may not be possible. Remake the spindle with a Morse taper socket. Even if there's only enough meat for a MT#1 it would make the machine more useful. More power would be transfered from the motor to the cutting edges through a taper, than by lines of contact in a drill chuck.

Comment

Working...
              X