Electric slip ring construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric slip ring construction?

I am building a hydraulic rotary union and it needs to have an electric slip ring included.

Has anyone on here built a rotary electric slip ring? Mine will need to carry 24 volts and maximum 1.5 amps per wire. Six lines.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Do you have auto wreckers near you?
    If so, maybe salvage an alternator and use the pair off of it?
    Oops, I see you need 6 lines, that would be 3 alternators!!
    You could always strip one and get an idea of construction?
    Max.

Comment

Search the BBS. John Stevenson had several threads on building & repair of slip rings.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-Christmas-yet
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Or you could just use 2 rings to get power there then a wireless I/O device to do the uh, I/O.

Comment

Also scrap alternators would be a good source of brushes and brush gear for the app.
          Max.

Comment

Should be pretty straightforward, I'd think. Do a little envelop scratching on the minimum spacing and design of the pickup contacts. The rings themselves can be brass rings slid onto an insulating sleeve with appropriate spacers and the whole thing solidified with epoxy. The inner sleeve has 6 grooves and as the rings are assembled onto it their attached wires are nested in the groove before the next spacer and contact ring. Etc. For low speed rotation brass contact slippers should also be satisfactory though phosphor bronze has better spring characteristics.

Actually sounds like a fun project.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

When anyone mentions slip rings I think back to the CPS 6B Radar set that had 5 one megawatt and one 2 megawatt transmitters on a rotating
              platform with all the attendant video etc going through a slip ring assembly that must have been close to 4 ft tall. (maybe only 3 ft') :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Balance also a concern, depending on the maximum rpm?
                Max.

Comment

RPM will be very slow. As in one revolution in two minutes.
                  How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

You could also design a single disc with the brushes making contact axially instead of radial?
                    Similar to the cable drum reels.
                    Max.

Comment

I've done that a few times using ordinary copper pipe. Cut rings from it, solder a few wires inside each one, then bring the wires together into one for the lead-out. You would dress the wires according to how you would mount the rings. One of my applications needed several rotating contacts, seven or nine- don't recall exactly. Doesn't take much width of ring to handle a couple amps with a brush. The more rings, the wider they would be so you can pass all the wiring through.

For one pair of rings it should be straightforward. 1/2 inch copper pipe would be lots.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Depending on whether you need continuous rotation or just two revolutions back and forth you could also use a clockspring like in a steering wheel.
                        Igor

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                          Depending on whether you need continuous rotation or just two revolutions back and forth you could also use a clockspring like in a steering wheel.
                          Igor
                          Continuous rotation.

Comment

I have used these..

..for things like rotating Christmas decorations but I dont fancy your chances of finding a six way one!

Comment

Ebay has lots of the types used in cctv cameras

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Capsu...-/121399721219

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X