OT: Header Beam Clear Spans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeamick View Post
    Not wanting to start another thread .. I am also in need of a beam. Replacing a load bearing wall
    in a house. I have a Glu-lam beam in my pile that is perfectly the right size (4"x12"x17') Wonder if you
    guys can tell me how bad the weather affects it. Its not damaged at all but is pretty weathered.

Mike A
    It depends on how close you are to the design load. I have small sawmill and I store a lot of beams out in the weather. You have to be very careful with the one you have. If it is heavily weathered it will not be as strong as it was originally. I see you are in SoCal so you may be ok. But you should de-rate the beam from what it was. By how much? There in lies the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
      If it is heavily weathered it will not be as strong as it was originally. I see you are in SoCal so you may be ok. But you should de-rate the beam from what it was. By how much? There in lies the question.
      If by weathering you mean oxidation then the strength could be adjusted for the remaining section. If weathering means any kind of rot then the beam is junk. If it means that the surface has darkened or greyed then it should be fine. Wood that has burned on the outside is still good once you scrape off the charcoal and recalculate for the new section.
      "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Don't forget the glu-lam has a built in crown & make sure it goes up.

Comment

Working...
        X